Thursday, July 28, 2011

I'm Not Discussing Captain America. . . Yet

Give me a day to let it sink in. Until then, let's discuss the trailers that ran before the movie!

Don't roll your eyes at me. Look, either we discuss those or I'm doing a post where I rant about how sick I am of Tony LaRussa. Again. Do you want that? Well, if we do this instead, it'll be delayed two days, and maybe my comics will finally show up, and then it may be averted entirely. Or at least until the next time the Cards trade a young, talented player because LaRussa just can't get along with him, which hmm, will be about November. I better prepare for Jaime Garcia's inevitable trade.

So, trailers? Great!

They were still running trailers for Cowboys vs. Aliens, which was felt strange since it's coming out tomorrow. I can't decide what to make of that movie. Part of me wants to see it, but I don't think I want to see it badly enough to pay for it. I can't decide if they should be playing it as seriously as they seem to be. Maybe they should embrace the ridiculousness of the whole concept. I don't know. Also, Harrison Ford's voice seems rougher than usual, like he's trying to channel Eastwood (not a bad thing). Maybe that's how his voice is now, though. I haven't watched a movie he's appeared in since - hang, let me check IMDB - Hollywood Homicide?! Holy crap.

OK, there's going to be a Tintin movie. I'm sure I'd heard something about that, but must have forgotten. They're going computer animation with it, I guess? Not surprising with Spielberg and Peter Jackson involved. Do you think it would work better as live-action, or perhaps a more old-style animated film? Because some of the bits I saw put me in mind of that Beowulf movie (I wish I hadn't wasted time watching that, or at least had forgotten I wasted time watching it), where it was computer graphics, but graphics that were trying really hard to look like real people. Which would seem to defeat the point of doing computer animation in the first place when you could just use real people.

There's going to be a new Three Musketeers movie, but it's a little off. When it started, and the person covered in leather or whatever emerged from the water to kill people, I thought it was another Hellboy flick. I figured it was the bad guy from the first one, that was partially mechanical and liked to stab people? Then you add the big guy with a sword people are afraid to fight and I thought, "OK, League of Extraordinary Gentleman movie. Hope it goes better this time." No, even with airships, and the Cardinal (presumably Richelieu, but who knows) an adept swordsman, and highly skilled assassins who are also ladies of the court (or royalty, I wasn't clear on that), it's a Three Musketeers movie. Sure it is. I don't think I'll be going to see it. I was fond of the one with Jeremy Irons and Charlie Sheen myself. Plus, Tim Curry as the Cardinal, he just exudes creepy evilness.

I had almost forgotten what the last preview/trailer/whatever was, which was strange because I knew I had a thought about it, but Captain America must have blown it clear out of my mind. Then I nosed around in the trailers on IMDB and remembered it was the new Mission Impossible. The thought I had was this: I'd rather put saving the day or stopping the bad guys in Simon Pegg's hands, rather than Tom Cruise's. That was it.

The actual movie will be discussed tomorrow.

No comments: