Saturday, July 09, 2011

Why Was I Thinking About Old Cartoons Today?

For no reason I can figure, I remembered this morning that Roseanne and Louie Anderson both had Saturday morning cartoon shows about them as kids when I was younger. I thought they came out at the same time, which would have been odd, but they were about 5 years apart. Less odd, but it still seems strange. I know John Candy had a cartoon show, too, but that was him as an adult, a camp counselor, which is a little different (it also predated the other two).

I'm pretty sure I watched Camp Candy at least occasionally, but not the other two. Mulling over cartoons I used to watch (back in those days when I was also a Power Ranger fan), brought the Super Dave cartoon to mind. What I remember of it (which isn't much) suggests it was like Wil E. Coyote became a superhero/secret agent/general troubleshooter, with all the explosions and injuries to the main character that would suggest*. I don't know what other choice there was. The main character is already a stuntman/daredevil in real life, a cartoon would have to exaggerate that, which leads to trying to lure a giant something to a particular spot with an ice cream truck**.

* I just pulled the show up on IMDB and cripes, it's from the 1988?! I was thinking early '90s at the oldest. Like I'd watch it after yet another irritating X-Men episode about Bishop futilely trying to change the past.

** What was going to happen to the giant if it reached that spot is lost to my memory. I do remember that plan didn't work.

No comments: