Friday, July 15, 2011

The Kids Are Better Role Models Than The Adults

I'd forgotten to mention it, but I watched Role Models while I was at Alex' over the 4th. He'd been trying to get me to watch it for awhile, assuring me it was good (whatever that meant). That didn't help much, since I tend to take Alex' opinions on movies with a 5 pound bag of salt*. Plus, I'm not much of a fan of Seann William Scott. Sure, I liked The Rundown, but I chalk that up more to Christopher Walken and the Rock**. Expectations suitably lowered, I did end up enjoying some of it. Let's hear it for lowered expectations!

Studio Audience: Yeah, Lowered Expectations! Woooo! You're the greatest!!

Thanks folks. Lowered Expectations really appreciates that outpouring of emotion.

The story arc's predictable, with the Scott and Paul Rudd not wanting to do the community service, then doing it half-assed, then trying harder but letter their own hang-ups wreck thing, then finally they get it right. I did like when the community service starts, that Scott's character actually makes an effort to connect with his kid, but can't find common ground, and forgets some basic rules. Like, "don't leave the hostile kid alone in your car when the keys are in the ignition." I also laughed when Scott decided, after that incident, to drink the juice he'd bought for Ronnie. Pettiness is funny. The opening sequence, where you see how Rudd and Scott spend every day at work was effective in conveying just why Rudd might finally snap (though I'm not sure Scott doesn't have the worse job).

The part that grated was Sweeny, who founded the program Rudd and Scott were dragged into. Her constant berating was old the first time she started in about how they couldn't slip any b.s. past her. She is very open about the problems she had in her life prior to founding this organization, and maybe I should be more sympathetic to a character who needs this task she's given herself so she doesn't backslide into drug use, but I kept waiting for someone to tell her to shut up. She's trying to act as though she's on top of everything, but she's highly unstable, and someone needed to call her on it. Or I hated her voice. One of the two.

* On the 3rd, he suggested our big 4th of July activity should be to go see Transformers 3. Some friend he is.

** The same way I attribute my love of The Untouchables to everyone in the film but Costner.

No comments: