Thursday, July 04, 2019

Captain Marvel

Spoilers, probably.

It's a solidly enjoyable movie, at minimum, in that way most Marvel movies manage. I feel like a lot - not all, but a lot - of the '90s references are lost on me. Because even though I was certainly alive for that decade, I was unaware of what was popular or trendy at any given time. So even though I know the choice of song is probably important, it doesn't land with any impact.

I feel like the part of the story where "Vers" believes she's a Kree who had lost her memories of the Skrulls killing everyone she cared about, interferes with the part about how Carol Danvers has spent her entire life being told she can't do something because she's a girl. I see how they're supposed to work together, the Kree being just one more group telling her she isn't good enough, but the amnesia bit feels unnecessary. Maybe because it seemed so damn obvious.

Or because I was much more interested in Carol interacting with Maria and Monica Rambeau. Start the movie from the point of her and Maria being pilots and friends and go from there, rather than backtracking around to that eventually. Instead, they'd show us a little of that in flashback, and then here comes some bullcrap with Jude Law to bog everything down.

I liked the effects on the flying and zap powers. The fight scenes are fine. Danvers handles Yon-Rogg at the end exactly how I hoped she would when he tried to goad her. I liked the interactions between Brie Larsen and Sam Jackson. Although you can tell he's a lot older than the Nick Fury he's playing, just from how awkwardly he runs and moves. The cat is cute, makes for some funny moments.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

I haven't seen this yet, but have heard a lot of good things about it.

CalvinPitt said...

My friend and her mom both liked it a lot. I know a couple of guys at work that weren't impressed. I'm probably in the middle. There are a lot of Marvel movies I like better, but there are also plenty I think were worse.