Monday, July 01, 2019

What I Bought 6/26/2019 - Part 2

Summer has certainly arrived here. It's been around 90 degrees every day since I got back from visiting my friend last week. With the humidity along for the ride, naturally. Blech. I would say bring back spring, but considering the number of people in this state whose homes were underwater this spring, maybe not. Bring on fall!

Magnificent Ms. Marvel #4, by Saladin Ahmed (writer), Minkyu Jung (penciler), Juan Vlasco (inker), Ian Herring (color artist), Joe Carmagna (letterer) - Kamala's parents look completely shell-shocked back there. Just think of it like visiting the American Southwest.

Kamala keeps everyone from dying from being blown up in the air. They make their way to the rebel camp, stopping to protect some innocent people from angry soldier guys. Then the king shows up with more forces, somehow captures Kamala's parents, and then a bunch of those Beast Men arrive through a portal in the sky.

And we learn in a flashback Kamala and Bruno almost kissed, except Kamala noticed her dad walking very closely down the street with a woman who isn't Kamala's mother. Oh no! There's a not at all subtle clue in the flashback to explain what Abu was up to, considering there's only one building shown with its name visible. So I wouldn't worry too much about an infidelity plotline.

Something's off about this whole planet. They were shot down into a forest, but found a series of tunnels running from the palace to the countryside? They emerge into a desert, are led to the rebel base, and are quickly attacked by the King's forces. Kamala's parents should be down somewhere in the base, but are almost immediately captured. Then the beast guys happen to show up then?
 I can't tell if it's just Ahmed's pacing that's throwing me off, or if I'm meant to find something hinky about this. Part of me thinks the whole thing is some elaborate illusion or trick, but I can't decide what the point of that would be. More likely it'll that old saw about there being a traitor among the rebels, although we've hardly met them, so that's not going to have much impact.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

The pace of all of this is just so...brutally fast, and everything happens so quickly, that you don't have a second to catch your breath as a reader before the next big fight.

I like Ms Marvel...but I haven't been quite as invested in her book lately as I once was.

CalvinPitt said...

Yeah, i was worried a new creative team was going to be an issue, and it seems like it is. I'm hopeful for the road trip with Nakia and Zoe issue in September, but we're not off to a great start here.