Wednesday, July 10, 2019

What I Bought 7/6/2019 - Part 2

The sad thing of getting the last of my stuff into the apartment was figuring out a few other things got swiped along with the N64. I couldn't remember where I'd packed everything, so I was holding out hope some of it was in the last few boxes. Nothing I'm crushed by the loss of, although it's interesting to add up what they took. Very likely they were kids, since I can't imagine many adults stealing that Two-Face print I bought at Cape-Con a few years back. I mean, I liked it enough to frame it and hang it on my wall, but I'm weird.

Giant Days #52, by John Allison (writer), Max Sarin (artist), Whitney Cogar (colorist), Jim Campbell (letterer) - Is that something special only people from the UK are allowed to do? Sit on the hands of Big Ben?

Esther is off to London for an interview at a bank. Which is a horrible place for her to work. Would you entrust your money to her? No you would not. But she figured her friend Shelly lives the good life working in a large building in London, so this was the way to go. Except Shelly isn't in the financial industry, and she hates her work and wants to write children's books. All of which she confesses after they attend a Norwegian death metal concert.

Life in the big city is just fascinating. Or terrifying.

Good friend that she is, Esther tries to help by getting them invited to a party by Ken Lord, the creepy professor I thought looked a bit like Jack Kirby that tried to get her wasted in the first issue of Giant Days I ever bought. He's also an author and publicist, and Esther is willing to venture into that creepy den to introduce Shelly to people she is sure will be interested in her ideas. Which they are, even though her idea for a children's character is deeply disturbing. Or perhaps it's just her art skills that make it seem so.
Esther wisely avoids hitting the wine this time, and is thus able to give Ken the brush-off. Thank Christ. What's more, her ability to do so, and apparent eye for talent in bringing Shelly here, impresses some older woman who works in publishing, and offers her a job. As the panel says when she and Shelly skip merrily out of the party, VICTORY.

Meanwhile, Daisy and Susan had a lovely day at a spa, but that inconsiderate girl on Daisy's floor has something big and probably annoying planned.

I loved this issue. Big surprise. The death metal concert scene had some good lines, Esther definitively giving Ken Lord the brush off was fantastic. The expression Sarin gives Esther as Shelly has a freakout before the enter the party was great. There's a bit as Esther waits for her interview, where she sees three employees, one that looks very much like her, discussing the previous night's "money and cocaine" party, which makes me wonder if 2010s London in 1980s New York. But Esther's increasingly concerned face in contrast to people saying, 'I grabbed a load more though, because money is bloody lovely,' cracked me up.

No comments: