Friday, July 05, 2019

It's the Place to Dump Snapper if You Want to Ignore Him

One of the odder parts of Dial H for Hero #4 was that Snapper Carr had been allowed to take up residence in the Justice League Detroit Headquarters. He says he's there as sort of a caretaker, but Batman built all those creepy robots that do all the work, so what's Snapper there for? No indication the place has been turned into a museum where you might want a human tour guide. And even if it had been, Snapper wasn't associated with the Detroit era. Wouldn't he be at the old Happy Harbor location*?

Which does raise the question of how many of the Justice League's old bases are still intact, and what they do with them. I feel like the original Satellite got destroyed at one point, and I know the one they were using prior to Morrison' JLA run burned up on reentry after the Martians trashed it. I feel like the various JLI/JLE spots are still in place, since I see characters using the old teleporters from time-to-time.

But still, the question of Snapper in Detroit. And what's odder, he says Green Arrow is the one who hooked him up with the gig. It's not hard for me to see Oliver Queen trying to look after Snapper. He certainly wouldn't want another teen (even though I assume Snapper's at least in his mid-20s in the comic) to fall onto the wrong path, possibly get hooked on the smack. Plus, I could see Green Arrow not holding a grudge about that time the Joker tricked Snapper into betraying the League. Oliver is absolutely the sort of guy who would yell about how it was the wake-up call the team needed, and blah, blah, someone punches him in the kisser. Probably Hal, before Canary or one of the team with super-strength does it. Hal's a good friend like.

Of course Ollie, so far as I know, also had no contact with the Detroit years. He was in the middle of his Mike Grell "wearing an actual hood and just using regular pointy arrows" phase at that time, wasn't he? So I wouldn't expect he'd get to have a say in it, other than Green Arrow probably insists of giving his two cents on everything.

I could see Arrow going to one of the team with actual connections to that era and just haranguing them until they agree, just to shut him up. It would have to be Aquaman, wouldn't it? Steel's dead, Vibe's dead, I don't know where Gypsy or Vixen are. or Elongated Man. Zatanna's probably running around with Justice League Dark. If Ollie shows up there running his yap, he's not likely to survive. J'onn is a possibility, assuming the Detroit era is still part of his continuity. I have less idea what's in and what isn't for various DC characters these days than I do for Marvel. I could see J'onn patiently letting Ollie bluster, because he already knows what he wants and why, and then calmly agreeing and offering to help set things up so Snapper can't accidentally cause too much trouble. He's a reasonable fellow like that.

*It's a little odd to me when I think about it that the Justice League's original HQ was a cave. Maybe with Batman involved that makes sense. Easier to go along with his aesthetic demands than fight them, and the coastline location made it easier for Aquaman. But a cave still feels more like a Doom Patrol thing.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

The whole Detroit era was a little...bizarre. Of couse in my opinion, Snapper Carr is a dreadful character.

I do miss Ralph and Sue Dibny though. Desperately.

CalvinPitt said...

They'll have to popup again before too long, won't they?