Tuesday, July 09, 2019

It (2017)

I don't think I ever watched the original movie version of It. I read the book back in junior high, and maybe a second time since then. Thank goodness they left that creepy sewer sex scene out of the movie (so far).

(I told some friends of mine a few years back about that scene when they were getting excited for this movie and they both looked at me like I sprouted a second head. Like I would just make up that Stephen King put that in the book.)

Anyway, the movie. It's alright. I think Pennywise, a creature designed to become what you fear, is better left to a book, because even if King describes him in text, your imagination still puts that together in what is probably the most effective form. If he says Pennywise becomes a werewolf, I picture that in my way, you picture it in yours, and so on.

The movie is still effectively creepy at times. Bill seeing Georgie in the basement. The bit where Ben is flipping through the book in the library and it's the same picture on each page. The bit with the slide projector. It's the parts where the movie focuses on something being wrong or strange that work best for me. I'm not worried he's going to manage to kill any of the Losers. The bit with the slide projector was a lot less unnerving the moment he bursts into physical form in the garage and acts like he's actually going to do something. At that point, he's just a big clown mugging for the camera. I don't mean that as an insult against Bill Skarsgard's performance, he's pretty creepy. But a big thing you can theoretically hit is not quite as creepy as something that can insert itself into pictures and TV shows whenever it pleases.

Although considering how Henry Bowers ended up, maybe I should have been more concerned about a curveball and one of the kids buying the farm.

Most of the kids do a good job, although I don't remember Richie irritating me as much when I read the book. I thought Stan Uris kind of got the short end of the stick in terms of focus. With that many people in the group, somebody is bound to end up that way. Unlike Mike, Beverly and Ben, Stan was already part of the Losers, so the movie didn't have to spend time explaining how he wound up with the group. Bill's the leader and lost his brother, so he drives them forward. Eddie has the whole thing with his domineering, hypochondriac mother. Richie invites focus because he won't shut the hell up. Stan kind of falls through the cracks as the one who is understandably terrified and reluctant.

2 comments:

Gary said...

But a big thing you can theoretically hit is not quite as creepy as something that can insert itself into pictures and TV shows whenever it pleases.

I'm with you, there. On the whole, I thought the film wasn't bad, but you're right - as soon as Pennywise manifested himself, he was a lot less effective. The subtle things worked much better.

And if you never watched the original, don't bother - as flawed as it is, the latest movie does a much, much better job of adapting it.

CalvinPitt said...

Gary: Thanks for the tip. I know I've seen parts of it, because I remember the guy from Night Court is one of the adult versions of the group, but that's about the extent of what I recall.