Sunday, November 12, 2006

Purchasing Advice

As I may have mentioned, I've been buying a lot of old comics at low, low prices these last couple of weeks, and before I dove back in again (because I've got a pretty slow week on my pull, what with only the hilarity of Cable/Deadpool and the first opportunity to see whether Ms. Marvel can do some p.r. work on herself), I'd thought I'd poll the populace about something.

Amongst the back issues is JSA, from about issue #5, up into the 70s. There's some gaps, as other people have scavenged what they need (a tactic I frequently use myself) , but there's still a lot there. So I was wondering what you'd suggest I should pick up. I will say I don't think I want to get into those Alex Ross cover issues near the end, since that's a lot of Infinite Crisis-related stuff, and I'd prefer to keep that at bay. Stupid Infinite Crisis, it's your fault Marvel did Civil War! Shame!

So prior to that, what would you describe as Essential JSA stories to go for? I know that I like Sand, Power Girl and Doctor Midnite seems cool, but I don't know enough about a lot of the other characters to say I wouldn't like them, if I just read more about them.

So yeah, simple post today, but I've actually gotten back to writing down post ideas, thus preventing my forgetting them, and allowing for a smoother fleshing out, rather than the more slapdash, ragged, all-over-the-place posts I normally provide.

Well, maybe I shouldn't promise the posts will be more carefully planned out. There's a reason I prefer button-masher games to real-time strategy.

2 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

I'd recommend the Black Reign arc that crossed over with Hawkman. It's the best thing Geoff Johns has ever written, in my opinion.

LEN! said...

Black Riegn is good, as is Princes of Darkness. Also, the arc called JSA/JSA, which takes place in the 1950s is worth checking out. There's only one page in the whole thing that has anything to do with Infinite Crisis and you might not even know which one it is by reading it.