Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Reunion Tour!

As we know, Mark Bagley will be leaving Ultimate Spider-Man in a few short months. As I understand it, Stuart Immonen of NextWave (Next Wave?) fame will be taking over, so I'll have to see how that goes. Based on my limited observation of the work I'd say characters' faces should be fairly expressive, which will mesh pretty nicely with a writer that has so much of each issue boil down to talking.

But that's not what I'm here to talk about. I'm thinking about what project Mark Bagley should sign on to next, after a period of time for rest and recuperation that he deems sufficient. The man's been doing 18 issues a year going on the last six years, he could probably use some downtime. I don't know if he's already made any commitments, but I have one suggestion: team-up with Fabian Nicieza.

They worked together on New Warriors, and it was golden. It's why Quesada's use of them as cannon fodder was so effective at ticking me off. Though I haven't been much of a Thunderbolts reader, it has a devoted fanbase, which a Spider-Girl fan such as myself can certainly respect, and the bits I've read seemed pretty good. Hmm, there was a stack of those in those longboxes at the store, hmm...

Anyhoo, Nicieza's moving off the T'Bolts so Warren Ellis can give us Marvel's Suicide Squad (call me when Norman Osborn dies in an irrevocably permanent manner and we'll talk), so that should free him up for another book. Surely Fabian's got some project in mind to pitch, or perhaps you have something he should try. Or maybe the regular artist of Cable/Deadpool would like to try something new.

Just a thought.

4 comments:

Seth T. Hahne said...

Bagley can move on to no other book than Ultimate Strikeforce: Morituri and remain in my good graces.

Anonymous said...

Bagley needs time to have particular parts replaced from his cybernetic interface.

After which... he should do something X-Meny. Not sure on what, but I'm sure if we feed him the data, he'll print out a few viable candidates.

CalvinPitt said...

dane: I might pick that title up for no other reason than the title and the promise of Bagley artwork.

carla: Bags on an X-Men book? Hmm, I'd be down with that. It'd be that last little push to get me actually buying an X-book.

Seth T. Hahne said...

The funny thing is that when he originally hit Strikeforce: Morituri, that's when it became readable.