Sunday, March 04, 2007

Iron Man Movie Review

Yeah, I watched the Invincible Iron Man animated movie last night. I was bored, full of shrimp, and in no mood to do anything else. So what should I say about it?

Well, a masterpiece it wasn't. I thought it was kind of odd that he'd been making armors before the time where the movie starts from, so that the one he makes to escape his captors is just the best facsimile he could cobble together. I guess they wanted to explain why he would decide powered armor was the best way to escape.

I like James Rhodes. He's smart, and a loyal friend to Tony. By "loyal" I mean that he likes Tony too much not to tell him when he thinks Tony's been a jerk. Yes, Tony Stark takes people for granted to a certain extent in the movie, but he recognizes that, and tries to patch things up. Which is why it makes sense when those same friends risk incarceration for him later on. This also applies to his administrative assistant, Pepper. Cares about him, but isn't easy on him (though she's less direct about it than Rhodey is).

The father/son conflict between Howard and Tony seemed kind of unnecessary, but not something that ruins watching it.

The fight with the dragon was pretty good. Tony actually used his brains to win, that's nice to see.

The sequence with the Mandarin was a little short, yet also a little too drawn out. Contradictory, I know, but I guess I expected Stark to clevrly outwit his extremely powerful opponent, not... do what he ended up doing.

The graphics were, um, less than awesome. Things looked warped at times, or kind of, I don't know, clunky seems like the best description. Character movement just didn't seem smooth in the action scenes is what I'm going for.

And finally, watching Tony smash, blast and otherwise destroy hundreds of reanimated clay soldiers put me in the mood to bust Marvel: Ultimate Alliance out again. So if you'll excuse me, I've got some Mandarin pummeling to get to.

3 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

I'm starting to think that Ultimate Alliance is preferable to the actual Marvel Universe. Nick Fury aside, the heroes are actually heroic (and look cool as well once you stick the Silver Age costumes on ... )

I hope Marvel will find their own Paul Dini someday. The Iron Man cartoon was so boring I couldn't really get beyond the first 40 minutes - and this is from a guy who stuck with a Dragon Ball fight scene that lasted 30 some-odd episodes.

SallyP said...

Mandarin pummeling is always a fun thing to do. Full of shrimp or not.

CalvinPitt said...

fortress: The movie does start slow, but I thought some of the character bits (mostly the Rhodes-centric stuff) was interesting enough to stick around. Plus, there wasn't anything better on.

sallyp: Sadly, I didn't get to the Mandarin that night, and had to settle for Fing Fang Foom pummeling.