Sunday, March 25, 2007

Take That, Article In Cosmo!

So a few years back I'm in the store, picking up the essentials foodstuffs (Pop-tarts, soda). I'm cruising through the magazines, and I notice an article heading on the cover of Cosmo. Why I was looking at Cosmo I can't recall. Probably there was an actress I find attractive on the cover, although I think it might have been Tom Brady and I was amused that he'd be on the cover of that periodical. Anyway, the heading was something to the effect of "Why Can't Guys Make Friends?". The whole thing was about how as guys get older, their ability to make friends declines, to where they pretty much only make new friends at work while women can apparently make friends with just about anyone they happen to meet while they're out doing whatever (generally speaking, of course). So what's that got to do with anything?

During my sojourn to visit friends and family last week, my Dad mentioned that a friend of his at a store he visits frequently had some comics to give me. Seems my dad had mentioned my love of comics, and his friend Dave figured I might enjoy a box he had leftover from his younger days. Far be it from me to decline such a kind offer, and I have to say, it all turned out pretty well.

For one thing, he had Captain America #319, which bears a striking similarity to that "Funeral of Stilt-Man" issue of Punisher War Journal, and Captain America #333, when John Walker dons the Captain America costume, also known as "The Day Babies Cried". Daredevil #232 and 233, the last two issues of Born Again, plus several issues from Ann Nocenti's run, which have convinced me I need to buy more of her run. Three issue from Moon Knight: Fist of Khonshu, a Sgt. Rock (except with Andy Kubert instead of Joe), a Wolverine with "Patch" playing "Mr. Fixit" for a chump, good times. I suppose the best would The Mighty Thor #337-382, which neatly covers the whole saga with Surtur, Beta Ray Bill, Hela, Thor Armor, the Midgard Serpent, and the all the rest. Hot damn. Plus several Thors from the period after that with DeFalco and Frenz. I don't like it as much as their various Spider-related stuff (it's hard for me to take the Mongoose as a serious threat to Thor after all the monsters Simonson had him pummeling), but it's still got some good moments.

Also, the 4-issue Balder the Brave mini-series? Surprisingly good. I know it's Simonson and all, but I didn't really expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Plus I learned Balder could speak to birds, and that's always cool.

So I guess it's a good thing my father's able to buck trends describe in Cosmopolitan, or I might have been horribly deprived.

7 comments:

SallyP said...

Going through a random box of comics is ALWAYS a treat. Do try and find more of Ann Nocenti's run on anything, she's a very good writer.

I have that copy of Wolverine, with John Buscema on the art, if I remember correctly, and it was on the amusing side.

And heck, you make new friends every day!

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Agreed. Random comics are awesome. That's how I got introduced to GrimJack.

I suppose I do make friends every day, don't I? That's a nice thought.

thekelvingreen said...

Yeah, Nocenti's run was unfairly maligned because it came after Miller, and it wasn't Miller, but it's still good stuff.

And that Balder series is great fun too, and ties back into the main series, which is quite unusual but works well.

thekelvingreen said...

Why Simonson's Thor isn't in a huge hardback volume (or set thereof), I don't know.

CalvinPitt said...

kelvingreen: I imagine Marvel can't put Simonson's Thor in hardback, because it'll destroy JMS' upcoming attempt before it's even begun.

thekelvingreen said...

That is sadly likely. I do think JMS might be a good fit for Thor (aside from Gaiman, he's the only one at Marvel who's anywhere near appropriate, which is faint praise, I know), but yeah, he's not going to top Simonson.

Seth T. Hahne said...

Actually, in all honesty, I really prefer Nocenti's Daredevil to Miller's. Call me crazy like that.

It's funny, your dad's friend and I must have collected comics around the same time. I have all that Captain America stuff you mentioned (pretty much 319 through 380 or so), most of Nocenti's Daredevil run, and Simonson's entire run on Thor (glorious stuff - esp. 362 and the finale with the Midguard snakey).