Wednesday, March 14, 2007

What I Bought 3/14/07

Isn't that just the luck? Only one comic this week, but then I've got at least six (probably seven) coming next week. The joke is that I'll be out of town next Wednesday, and won't get said comics until Friday. Don't worry, I've got a reasonably clever post planned to tide you over for the week, but you'll have to wait until Friday to see it.

Now that that's settled, let's take a look at that one comic, shall we?


Amazing Spider-Girl #6 - And so the first arc comes to a close. I think DeFalco probably would have been better served speeding this arc up, in terms of holding new readers anyway. But seeing as I'm not a new reader, that doesn't really affect me. Just wanted to throw it out there.

So we find Mayday Parker with a bit of a dilemma. She got the much coveted disc of the Kingpin's, but she can't crack it. In the meantime, Hobgoblin wants that disc, and not being an idiot, knows just how to draw Spider-Girl out. Not surprisingly, it involves the premiere of Jimmy and Wes' Spider-Girl comic, with special appearence by Spider-Girl (not really)! Let me just say, Jimmy Yama has himself a heck of a girlfriend, and move on. As it is, the Hobgoblin/True Spider-Girl showdown gets cut short, as Black Tarantula's somewhat disturbing interest in May leads to her receiving some assistance again. I like that it delays Mayday's inevitable one-on-one battle royale with Hobby for farther down the road, and seeing as she still seems a little scared of him, I think that's a nice development. Besides, it reminds us that Hobgoblin takes the larger, more Kingpin-like, view now. It's not just about killing an enemy.

In other news, Davida wants an explanation for why May put her in the student council election so abruptly, which seems fairly reasonable. Oh, and Pete finally learns May's donned the webs again (slow on the uptake isn't he?). He reacts about how you would expect an overprotective father to act. It's pretty much a typical Spider-Girl arc: a few things wrap up, and a lot of things evolve (Detective Drasco's inner struggle being a key one, the overt action against Hobgoblin by Black Tarantula being another). It was a fairly decent ending. 3.7 out of 5.
Oh, and Ron Frenz' artwork still looks a lot different from the previous Spider-Girl run. It's giving me that Romita Senior vibe, though I haven't seen enough of JR Sr. art to know why.

5 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

He might remind you of Romita, but seeing Frenz draw the Hobgoblin like on that cover just brought that 80's DeFalco/Frenz run rushing back into my memory. Those were some good years to be a Spidey reader.

CalvinPitt said...

kelvingreen: Maybe that is what he's reminding me of. It ought to be, I've got several comics from that span. I think the thing that throws me from that is the inking he's getting now is heavier. Or maybe it's that everything looks shinier, it's causing a disconnect in my brain or something.

And you're damn right those were some good Spidey stories.

thekelvingreen said...

Yeah, the inking does look a bit heavier than on the 80's run.

Jeez, if Marvel are just going to rehash old stories in Amazing Spider-Man (referring specifically to "Back in Black" here), they should just reprint the old stories as is.

CalvinPitt said...

Kelvingreen: Yes, I demand Spider-Man versus the Firelord: The Rematch!

Just as soon as Firelord finishes killing Annihilus' remaining Centurions, that is.

thekelvingreen said...

Yes, and let's have a crossover that runs through all the Spidey titles that doesn't actually feature Spider-Man!

Okay, maybe not everything from that era was good...