Wednesday, May 16, 2007

What I Bought 5/16/07

It's the good week that comes before the bad week, except it wasn't really a great week, you know? None of the books were what I'd call excellent, and two left me disappointed, truth be told. And as long as we're telling truths, I should tell you I might spoil things for you, if you aren't careful.

Cable/Deadpool #40 - Man, Cable is huge on that cover. Even Liefeld didn't give him pecs that big. Cable gets his name back in the title because he actually bothered to show up this issue. Perhaps not coincidentally it's my least favorite issue in awhile. I don't know that this is due to Cable, so much as to the fact I feel like I'm missing big chunks of the story because I don't read X-Men. I know the basics of what's going on in that title, but I fail to understand how Rogue is supposed to help Cable save the day (or is it vice versa?), and Deadpool spends the entire issue playing strip poker with the Agency X crew. Perhaps most distressingly, I didn't laugh once. The book can be serious; that's fine, but give me one good chuckle an issue!

I am interested to see how things change for Cable if the return of his powers is something that sticks around, since he seems to feel it'll be a disaster for his hopes and dreams. I'm just concerned all that is going to play out in a title I don't buy. 2.2 out of 5.

Exiles #94 - Claremont's first arc wraps up, and well, I don't know what happened. I get the parts about how the people reappeared on the Earth of reality 1720, but I don't get why the universe seemed to be destroyed, only to not be. Reed spun some half-assed thing about hacking the Exiles comm-link, but I don't get what that accomplished, unless he's saying he used that as a way to hack the device that would destroy the reality. Grr, I hate confusion at the end of a story arc; that's when the confusion is supposed to end!
As for the majority of the issue, it's the good guys trying to turn the tide, Psylocke nearly dying (again), after she breaks into tears at the sight of Slaymaster (where's that X-Spirit?), and Sue Storm pretty much kicking everybody's ass. That's when she pushes a little red button - and things stop making sense. Hmm, I should probably say something nice about this issue. I like that on the cover, Pelletier draws Slaymaster with crow's feet. It's a little thing, but I like it. Sadly, the same can't be said for the arc, and I'm left contemplating dropping the book. 1.6 out of 5. Well, I did need to clear some more space on the pull list before Annihilation:Conquest . . .

Ultimate Spider-Man #109 - Bendis seems to be really trying to make Spidey's enemies into evil masterminds. First Doc Ock, now Kingpin. The issue begins with Peter waking up - unmasked, naturally - and face to face with Fisk, who feels the need to gloat because he knows where to find Spider-Man now. He's wisely avoided trying to fingerprint Peter, thus avoiding the fate that befell Silver Sable. Fisk also gloats about owning the rights to the Spider-Man trademark, and all the cash it brings him. Then he beats the crap out of Ronin/Moon Knight. Beats him up old school (whatever that means). After Ronin's "shoot up the school" move last issue, this is a move I whole-heartedly endorse.

Anyway, Kingpin decides to have a little more fun, telling Peter that he is behind the "Ultimate Knights" whole attempt to bring him down. He just wanted to mess with the good guys. This leads to misunderstanding punching between the Knights, and a very angry Daredevil by the end of the issue. Hmm, I've probably blown too much of the issue for you. Sorry. Bagley draws Fisk as appropriately menacing and huge (and ripped). The second to last panel of page 9, Fisk's eye's seem almost completely black, it makes him look demonic, and it's a little scary. I like that. The last panel of the issue, with Daredevil looking enraged? Hoo yeah, that was nice too.

I also like Dr. Strange's idea of "meditating", and the fact that Fisk says one day Spidey will make the monumentally stupid mistake of outing his secret identity to the whole world (hee-hee). Technically, there's already about 150 people who know who he is, so I'm amazed one of them hasn't let it slip already (or leaked it for big money). Maybe they can't believe it. I gotta admit, I like Bendis' Ultimate Kingpin; he's very hands-on when he takes a notion, which is a quality I like in Kingpins. 4.1 out of 5.

X-Factor #19 - In this issue, various members of X-Factor fight various depowered members of the X-Cell. On the whole, X-Factor loses. Way to be, gang. Oh, and I was wrong about who Pietro would target as the conduit for his power. I figured Madrox dupe, because what seemed the obvious answer, also seemed too obvious, you know? Well, unless David pulls the rug out from under me, the obvious answer wasn't too obvious after all.

And there was a Three Stooges reference! Woo-hoo! More 3 Stooges references! It was a scene made even better by Monet not understanding what it was supposed to mean. Or maybe she was just pretending not to get it, so she could insult the person making it. With her, either one is possible. In other news, Jamie's fear over his dupes is causing him to make dumb decisions, and making him hold back too much, Guido is concerned about Rahne, and Layla tries to freak out Illegal French Orphan Girl (aka Nicole). And Pietro's a smarmy punk. But you knew that already. 3.3 out of 5.

I'm done. Now, it's time to buy groceries! Away!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should read X-men.

Go read it.

Now.

Go ahead. I'll wait.

SallyP said...

Well, X-Factor was pretty good as usual, and I greatly enjoyed Ultimate Spiderman...as usual.

Wait...Cable/Deadpool didn't get a guffaw out of you ONCE? Oh my Stars and Garters. Good thing I didn't read it then.

Anonymous said...

Still waiting...

CalvinPitt said...

mallet: There aren't any around! There just aren't any around! *sobbing*

sallyp: Well, I think I might have chuckled when Wade managed to win a hand, but I'm not certain, which isn't a good sign either way.