Wednesday, May 02, 2007

What I Bought 5/2/07

So, World War Hulk has started. Sort of. I think, maybe? Well, they had a Prologue anyway, so it's definitely on the verge of the starting if nothing else. Howzabout that? Seriously, how do you feel about that, 'cause I've got pretty much nothing. So I guess I should talk about what I actually bought, huh? Well, since you twisted my arm, I guess I will, and to keep you from twisting anymore, I'll tell you about the spoilers that might be lurking.

Warbird #15 - It seems like there's a lot going on this issue, but I could be wrong about that. Carol went on a date with restauranteur guy, then had an unfriendly meeting with Maria Hill. I don't believe anybody has friendly meetings with Maria Hill. Carol and her strike team go back to the house/AIM base they attacked two issues ago, trying to discern why AIM agents came back. While doing that, they run into AIM's Scientist Supreme, which is okay I guess.

In other news, AIM is falling apart, everyone wants the DNA bomb, and so you get multiple factions of AIM, including the one lead by MODOK all appearing in the same place to fight it out. And Warbird's group is there as well. Hilarity ensues. Well, not really, seeing as I didn't laugh, but fighting certainly ensues. I think Mr. Reed is trying too hard for the snappy patter. The point where the SHIELD tech nerd refers to the Scientist Supreme as "Burrito Supreme" felt like someone trying too hard for a joke. As someone prone to that, I'm not too bad at spotting it in action. On the plus side, I still like Lopresti's art, and even if she is working for Iron Man, Warbird is doing the hero thing, trying to keep dangerous weapons out of AIM's clutches. 3.3 out of 5.

The Punisher #47 - Well, if Ennis is sticking to his usual pattern, this should wrap up next month, but I kind of get the feeling this arc might be going longer. The purpose of this issue is to explain exactly why mystery lady is not angry at Frank for killing her husband, and why she wants the widows (including her sister) dead so badly. I have to say, if Mr. Ennis wanted to make sure I was in favor of seeing these ladies take a dirt nap, mission accomplished. The gist of it is, Jenny drew the short straw. She wound up with a mob shooter that hid his true colors until they got hitched, and the ladies not only helped sucker her into it, they encouraged her to stick with it.

Also, Shauna finds out why Jenny isn't dead like she's supposed to be. And there's a one-page aside to deal with the cop. He's circling the widows, getting ready to move in, which is a really bad idea. Dude, just keep your head down until Jenny and Frank are finished. Then, you can move in and handcuff anyone still twitching. It's not a bad issue, but the tension of the flashbacks is tempered by the fact they are flashbacks. We know the destination, so it lessens the effect of the journey, just a little. Still pretty effective at disturbing me. 3.5 out of 5.

Slow weeks are so little fun

4 comments:

SallyP said...

I really liked Punisher. This is a little off the beaten track for Mr. Ennis's usual stories,which is always nice. Presumably the widows are going to get their eventual comeuppance.

Boy, Reed is STILL being a jerk.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: I would say the widows getting comeuppance is a lead-pipe cinch.

thekelvingreen said...

616.

Good for you in keeping it real, Warbird style. Ms Marvel indeed.

616.

CalvinPitt said...

kelvingreen: it was no problem at all. I am all about the keeping it real. 616.