Friday, May 27, 2011

What I Bought 5/23/2011 - Part 3

I'm not sure whether a declawed cat trying to scratch a chair is sad, or hilarious. My money's on hilarious. I'm using a slow library computer so for now, no images. Plus, I only have an hour on the computer, so more bare bones than usual.

Heroes for Hire #7 - Spider-Man finds himself in the middle of a big mess, including Batroc, Scorpion, dinosaurs, and demon ammunition. Paladin struggles with his self-respect and how he believes he's viewed by heroes who don't work for money. Misty realizes she's not the sort to sit on the the sidelines forever.

So at least we know why the Puppet Master was targeting those specific operations. Perhaps we'll learn who he was working for. Or maybe that person will duck capture and remain a shadowy thorn in H4H's hide.

Tim Seeley's the artist for this issue, so Brad Walker's return was about as temporary as it could be. Seeley's fine, though he doesn't have Walker's page layout skill. He occasionally give Spidey a chicken neck, which is fine. It reminds me of former 49ers free safety Merton Hanks. I liked him. Well, I liked anyone on any team that was trying to stand in the Cowboys' path to more titles during the '90s. In one of those little details I care about more than I probably should, Seeley draws Misty's hair mostly the same as Walker did last issue. He does draw it as more of a solid mass, while Walker had some tufts coming off the - is it an afro? - while Seeley makes it appear she added some hair spray or something to keep it down.

Rocketeer Adventures #1 - I bought the complete collection hardcover last fall, and I always enjoy the movie, so it seemed like a good idea. It wasn't bad, but the Cassaday story was the only one I really enjoyed. Because we got to see some of the action. Allred's was filling in between the last story that was in the hardcover and I guess some of the stories we'll be seeing in this mini-series. Nothing really happened in it, other than I guess Cliff made a decision about how he'll live his life. But when we're talking about the Rocketeer, I'm looking for action!

Busiek and Kaluta's story chose to focus on what Betty was up to while Cliff's fighting in World War 2 (with some little snapshots inset showing what Cliff's up against). I can't believe Cliff would let some flyboys paint a picture of his girl on the plane. Some random actress girl, sure, but your girlfriend (wearing very little)? Well, I can believe it, I just think it's poor judgment, which is a trademark of Cliff's.

Secret Six #33 - The team tries to decide whether to leave Hell, or accept Ragdoll's offer to rule with him. Deadshot renders it moot by doing what he usually does. Scandal temporarily ditches the team to run off with her first tall, redheaded girlfriend. She has a change of heart, though. Meanwhile, the rest of the team are experiencing various torments, either things they already experienced, or things they fear. Scandal tries to challenge Lady Blaze, who I'm guessing rules Hell currently, and Catman returns from visiting his father. Now, Scandal will have to choose which of her redhead girlfriends, past or present, ends up in Hell. I don't know why that's the case other than Hell is run by jerks, which I suppose is reason enough.

It's an alright issue. I kind of think the team was able to overcome the horrors Hell threw at them a little too easily, but they've demonstrated before they won't be anyone's lapdog, though I'd expect Hell to know how to turn that determination against them. I can't decide which way Scandal will go, because I can really see it both ways. The bit with Catman's mother was disturbing, though her obvious love for her son was kind of touching. Which sums this title up pretty well.

No comments: