Monday, May 29, 2006

I Like Toast

Especially when the butter melts into it, so it's crunchy and chewy at the same time. Freaking delicious.

In other news, DC may be able to count on taking more of my money this fall. For whatever reason, I am quite excited about the new Justice Society of America book that's going to be starting up. Granted, I don't understand why they needed to cancel the one they had, just to start another one, but whatever floats their boat, I suppose.

Sure, it's written by Geoff Johns, which means it's toast, but still, if the most recent Teen Titans is any indication, Johns is back to making toast I find palatable. Following that analogy, what was Infinite Crisis? Johns' attempt to make toast the center of an elaborate seven-course meal? Or an omelete with toast that went horribly wrong, because the eggs were spoiled or something? Was he trying to do something entirely different, like recreate that banquet scene from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? You know, with chilled monkey brains and live baby snakes, and. . . I need to go throw up now. Or do we give him a mulligan, since it was an Editorially Mandated Massive Event Mini-Series?

But I digress.

Based on what's known now, the team has Power Girl, Hourman, Damage, and a new Starman. Power Girl is always a plus, since I assume Johns is capable of writing her as the ass-kicker she is. It's nice to see they'll be doing something with Damage other than "Oh yeah, he survived that fight in Infinite Crisis #1. Nope, no idea where he is now." Now a new Starman? Is that because they don't want to mess with James Robinson's stuff, or something else? Does that mean Stargirl has to give him that staff thing she has (that was Starman's originally, right? Damn, I know so little of DC)? Ah well, I guess that will be answered in time. I'll just have to wait. Oh yeah, put Sand on the team. Do it Johns. Don't make me include this plea at the end of every post from now until you actually comply, because I'm just irritating enough to do it.

On the other side of the coin, I'm not real interested in Meltzer's JLA (sorry, Justice League of America *rolls eyes*). What's the over/under on the number of issues before an over-the-hill Mirror Master kills the girl who's supposed to tutor Tim Drake, because Detective Chimp's one-night stand in Tijuana wants revenge?

Can you tell I'm not a Meltzer fan?

4 comments:

Ragnell said...

I figure since the new Starman ahs the KC Starman costume, he's going to ahve internalized gravity powers.

Hopefully he's also a time-displaced Thom Kallor, because I'm a sucker for cute doofuses.

which leads us to the question -- Are we getting a future version of the Starboy we have in the current LSH series, or are we getting the time-displaced Thom from the last reboot?

Marc Burkhardt said...

Until his recent appearance in 52, I was betting the T.O. Morrow was going to be the guy Meltzer turned into a fat, over-the-hill has-been.

Mirror-Master is a pretty good bet too!

CalvinPitt said...

ragnell: Ah, that's a good point. I hadn't actually seen any pictures. Of course, I wouldn't recognize Kingdom Come Starman if he dumped a punch bowl over my head but still.

And the end of that Titans/Legion crossover they LSH did say they would return, didn't say when. Hmm.

fortress: For Mirror Master's sake, let's hope Johns or Waid (whichever rejuvenated the Rouges) steps in and says "Not this time Brad."

Anonymous said...

That was Waid, and I have a feeling he likes 'ol Brad, his misogyny just isn't as obvious or acute.