Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Things I Think About #34

I believe Bendis learned how to pace his comics by watching too much Dragonball Z. He just removed the screaming and extensive, unneccessary flashbacks, and replaced it with lots of talk about feelings. He took out a lot of the nearly planet-destroying explosions too.

Comics Should Be Good put up the DC solicitations for August. I'm pretty sure I saw Raven on the Teen Titans cover. This could be good or bad. Bad, if Johns does yet another story about Raven's father being Trigon and Brother Blood's connection to all that. Good, if he does almost anything else. Please let her have been spending the time off in school, or interacting with normal people at the Burger King, or something. Please, Johns.

I want to see more dragons in the superhero comics. I don't know why, I just do. I don't mean like Lockheed, Shadowcat's dragon. I mean, big huge, flying, fire-breathing, possibly very wise and ancient dragons. For some reason, it feels like something I could see the JSA running into, even moreso than the Shadowpact. Or maybe the Defenders, if they were still together. If nothing else, a huge flock (Swarm? Horde?) of dragons deciding they need to retake the planets from destructive humans would be a better way to clear out the low-level hero clutter than Superboy-Prime decapitating people.

For the record, I don't really want to see hordes of dragons blackening the sky as they attempt to lay waste to civilization and D-list heroes. But, I've recognized that ideas have to be put into terms that the people running the show can understand. Which means I have to demonstrate how my dream can be bastardized to provide cheap, gratuitous deaths.

And I've depressed myself again. Bugger.

5 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

Here's your pitch: Dragons. On. A. Plane.

Awesome.

CalvinPitt said...

How about: Plane in a Dragon's Stomach?

Marc Burkhardt said...

I want this f*&king plane out of my f$#king stomach!

Ragnell said...

I just wanted to add that I think explosions are cool, and so are fire-breathing dragons, and there should be more of them in pop culture in general.

kalinara said...

Dragons are cool!

Not Lockheed though. Though even he was fun when he ate Pete Wisdom's cigarettes.

I'd kind of like to see a shapeshifted D&D style dragon somewhere in comics. Mostly so they can transform and eat someone. I would laugh because I'm sick and twisted.