Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Reflections #16 - X-Factor #6

I still love that cover.
It's remarkable that Peter David has made me care about Bendis' little plot device Layla Miller. Her being a child makes me have a somewhat instinctive reaction to sympathize with her. Then she sets up the hitman from Singularity to be electrocuted, and I get the feeling that wariness would be a better reaction, as opposed to sympathy. Still, I'm left with questions.

One, was she serious when she said she sprouted horns and had flame breath?

If so, why is that aspect of mutation no longer evident? Actually, I guess that's pretty solid evidence her comment was sarcasm.

Two, were her parents in the House of M world the same as her parents in the original reality? Or did her desires alter them to be more what she wanted?

If she can see glimpses of what will be, how does that connect to her reanimating a dead butterfly?

What does she mean she knows that certain things she sees are "supposed" to happen? If she saw it occur, wouldn't that mean it's supposed to happen? And if she can stop one event from happening, wouldn't that suggest all the events can be averted, therefore none of these things are necessarily "supposed" to happen?

Is this like DC saying that Superboy-Prime punching reality made Jason Todd come back to life because that is the way things were "supposed" to occur?

Is Layla Miller going to do more damage to my sanity than The Other, Finals Week and Jason Isringhausen combined?

And how does this tie-in with her apparent House of M ability to make people remember what had actually happened?

Is it because Layla knows she has to keep people from finding out the truth, and was somehow able to alter her own power as the Scarlet Witch did the whole "No more mutants."?

Who is it that is going to strike her down if she tells Madrox and Co. what's really going on? Dr. Strange? Emma Frost? Is she just being melodramatic, playing on the adults sympathy again?

What's the worst that could happen if people did find out what happened to mutants? Given no one can seem to locate Wanda, it would suggest she may not be a mutant anymore.

So even if you know Wanda's responsible, and you find her, it's isn't like she can fix it. Which measn you need the Reality Gem from the Infinity Gauntlet, and I've got no clue who has that. The last time I saw it Galactus had it.

Is Rictor right, did Layla actually hit herself to make Rahne think the kids beat on her? Based on her previous actions, and Tony Stark having Titanium Man attack him to bolster his case in Amazing Spider-Man, I vote yes.

One other question: Does anyone remember a comic book where there was a character named or nicknamed "Trip"? I don't remember whether it's spelled like that or "Tryp" or "Trp". I ask because I noticed the bad guy at Singularity is named Damian Tryp, and I know I've seen that last name somewhere before, and it's driving me insane.

And with that, I'm off to study for my Field Botany lab final. Oh joy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. For some reason, I've seen this book reviewed on a lotta sites, and I have ta' say...I don't get it. From what I can tell alotta the contreversy is about tehe art. This guys sucks, that guy was great whateva. I've read 1-6, 4 of which I borrowed, and I'm done. Where is the great writing everyone is raving about? Nothing happens in this book. It's just alking and talking and talking. Yeah sure every once in a while someone says something "cute" but so the fuck what? And I admit that Layla Miller is an interesting character, but she's not even orginally David's and ntohing of imprtance about her is being revealed! Nothing happens of any importance, I don;t see a beginning, I don;t see a middle, and I sure as heck dont see an end.

CalvinPitt said...

Well, I can't say why others enjoy this book, but I'll give what I enjoy about it.

I think I like that there's a larger goal being driven towards (finding out why mutants lost there powers), but the focus is on smaller things that appear along the way. They've solved one murder mystery, have to deal with the beating dealt out to Siryn, they'll probably be reprucussions from them declaring themselevs protectors of Mutant Town. They've got this weird girl hanging around they don't know that they can trust, they seem to be up against this powerful group that wants to keep things as they are. It doesn't involve the same characters you see in every other bokk with "X" in the title. Instead of just being about big explosions and battles, it seems focused on smaller scales, which is my preference for my comics anyway, street-level, as opposed to cosmic level.

So that's why I figure I like it.

As for Layla, yeah Bendis created her, but it was pretty much to move the plot of House of M from A to B. There never seemed to be much sign he had any other plans for her. And, most readers knew that, and disliked her for that, if they even thought of her. But David has taken her and actually tried to make her into a character with some depth, which I think is either cool, or kind of funny.

Again, that's just me.