Sunday, May 28, 2006

Things I Think About #37

If I understand this correctly, Marvel and DC have to use characters every so often, or they lose the rights to them. This may even require giving them a book, even if it's just a one-shot (I'm less certain about this).

So my disquieting thought for the day is this: What if Annihilation is just some huge thing to keep Marvel from losing the rights to the majority of their space-themed characters?

I mean, when was the last time we'd seen Stellaris or Nebula before Annihilation:Ronan? Or the Nova Corps? Air-Walker? Super Skrull does get some use, so he and the Silver Surfer may not really fit. But I notice the Shi'ar have gotten some fairly recent use in X-titles, and they're the only one of the former Big 3 Space Empires (Shi'ar, Kree, Skrulls) that hasn't been involved in Annihilation thus far.

That being said, I still think the galactic scope of Annihilation can give it an epic feel, and it might be especially interesting if the Earth is never really involved, if for no other reason that it's a reminder that Earth is just one tiny world, and there's a whole big universe of stuff going on out there, no Earthling has any idea about.

Of course, Reed Richards does know about the Annihilation Wave, courtesy of Super-Skrull, so I suppose he could be trying to prepare, but I think between Civil War and Onslaught Reborn and so on, he'll be a little too busy to really put much time into it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annihilation, just one more thing in Reed Richards's 'To Do' box.

CalvinPitt said...

Hopefully it doesn't get lost next to "Spay Johnny Storm to Avoid Furutre Paternity Suits".

Anonymous said...

I'm the only guy who likes Annihilation, it seems. I'm reading Ronan and Silver Surfer and having a blast. I surmise your trademark thing may be a bit correst, but that doesn't mean the story can't be fun.

CalvinPitt said...

dan: don't misunderstand. Like I said in the post, I'm enjoying it, though my preference has been for Super Skrull and Nova, but still, I've had a lot more fun with this than with Infinite Crisis, and more than I anticipate having with Civil War.

The trademark thing was just something that occured to me.