Friday, October 20, 2006

Clouds On A Sunny Day

I really hate to do this, but it's driving me nuts, so I'm just going to throw it out there.

There was one thing I didn't like in Amazing Spider-Girl #1.

The conversation between May and Gene as they walk back to her place. Specifically the part where Gene suggests they 'take their relationship to the next level'. May says she's not sure she's ready, Gene asks her to think about it, and they have a little smoochie.

I just got all kinds of bad vibes from Gene's interest in elevating their relationship, especially when coupled with May's uncertainty. It worries me that we're going to see Gene gets a little too grabby and May's forced to fight him off (which granted, shouldn't be difficult) and May has to deal with unwanted sexual advances as part of her history from this point on.

Because my brain likes to make me suffer, I can see May either rubuffing Gene's advances, only to see Gene turn on her, and try to make her a social outcast, spreading rumors about her being "frigid" or some such thing. Second depressing plotline, May gets the message across that she's not interested in going there a bit too physically, Gene winds up severely injured (like hospitalized). That's not bad in off itself; if Gene goes too far, against May's wishes, then he pretty much deserves what he gets. But, it could lead people start connecting dots between May and Spider-Girl, when they find Gene pushed clean through a wall.

I suppose that would add a twist to the "Peter and Flash in a boxing ring" scene, where Pete had to hide his abilities, and still wound up knocking Flash stupid, but I'm not sure it's a good twist.

Now, I'm basing all this on one comic, particularly one line, and just a general feeling of unease I get from how eager Gene has been to profess that he really loves May a lot, and that she's the only one he loves, and so on. Basically, it reminds of the lines some assholes I knew as an undergrad used to spew so they could wind up in bed with girls they knew. Plus, DeFalco already used the abusive boyfriend story in Spider-Girl, with May playing the role of concerned friend. Would he go back to it, and put May more squarely in the center?

So, am I just way too paranoid? I mean, I feel I'm jumping the gun, but I still get that uneasy feeling. Really, really, really hope I'm wrong.

2 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

Well, she is one of the only current Marvel female characters without sexual abuse in her past, so it was only a matter of time... :(

CalvinPitt said...

kelvin: Sad, but true.