Saturday, October 21, 2006

He Was Sooo Faking

I think this week is going to be kind of up-down. Happy post, sad post, and so on. Fortunately, today's a happy post, because I'm talking Annihilation #3. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to sort out how I feel about Ms. Marvel #8, and I'm sure that won't be cheerful. Oh well.

The primary thing I wanted to discuss was Ronan's fight with Ravenous, which I would have to say Ronan lost. That kind of surprised me, because power-wise, I've seen him do better. There was a Silver Surfer comic, I from the series that ran through the '90s, issues 12-13. In #12, he finds the Surfer and accuses him of attacking Kree worlds, which the Surfer denies. They fight anyway, and Shiny-Boy eventually wins - with the old "you're focused on me, so I'll have my surfboard fly up and smack you from behind" trick" - and immobilizes the Supreme Accuser. Afterwards, Ronan gets a power boost designed to counter the power and abilities demonstrated by the Surfer. Meanwhile, the Surfer finds a fake Surfer, who actually defeats him.

It turns out the phony is a Skrull, masquerading as Surfer, and he's stuck in this form after a bomb detonated that robbed Skrulls of their shape-changing abilities. Like Super Skrull, he was getting power from various Skrull stations, which made him strong enough to beat the former Herald, and using that power to attack Kree settlements. Ronan catches up, and with his enhancements, kills that Skrull-Surfer, and then proceeds on his way.

As far as I can tell, Ravenous is roughly equal to that version of the Silver Surfer. Certainly, he couldn't defeat the Kirby version, which is what the former Norrin Rand has been restored to. Yet, Ronan could do little more than slow Ravenous down. I suppose one can argue that Ronan's tech is out of date, since he's fallen out of favor with the Kree Empire, or that he was more concerned with protecting his allies, since the blast that ultimately immobilized him hit when he was shielding the Rigellian doctor (that was a Rigellian, I think).

Suffice to say, I'd like to see Ronan get a rematch. Next time, clock him over the head with that hammer, instead of shooting green energy out of it. Thor will tell you (or would, if he were around), few problems can't be solved by repeatedly smashing things with a hammer.

Other thoughts:

- I'm waiting for Thanos' betrayal of Annihilus. As Len pointed out, he wouldn't be Thanos if he didn't double-cross Annihilus, and the line about telling Annihilus "all you need to know" about the Power Cosmic certainly left me inferring that he's withholding critical info. What that may be, I don't know.

- For Quasar's inevitable return, I'm going to predict that when Nova goes after the Big Bug, he breaks that Cosmic Control Rod, and since that seems to be where Annihilus stores energy, all the energy he took when he killed Quasar escapes, and Wendell reforms on the spot. And then everybody will be happy!

- I love how Giffen didn't really bother to explain how Super Skrull came back. Some vague stuff about Ravenous and Firelord's energies washing over him and reviving him, and away we go. I think Giffen's saying "I could give you some long-winded explanation, but we're in a full withdrawal, and the reason would be pure b.s. anyway, so let's just enjoy his return, ok?"

To which I say "Yes sir, Mr. Giffen, sir. I'll believe anything you say. If I had a sister, I'd try to convince her to bear your children. And then she'd beat me up, but anyway..."

- Given Thanos' revelation that the Power Cosmic is something that replaces souls, does that mean Super Skrull might now have cosmic powers, given they probably played some role in his return?

- And what are the odds Marvel will completely ignore that explanation of Power Cosmic the first time that Bendis or Millar (or JMS, I'm stunned he hasn't said that Power Cosmic resides in people because of the Cosmic Totem) wants to screw around with Heralds and such? (My guess? 100%)

- Do you think Peter was flirting with Phyla when he said 'Have we met?' She thought so, I didn't, but I'm usually dense about these things (I had no clue Ultimate Colossus was interested in Ultimate Wolverine until Wizard mentioned it).

4 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

Slightly off topic ... I notice you're now calling Ms. Marvel um... Ms. Marvel instead of Warbird.

Is that due to her current impersonation of Ann Coulter, as someone out there put it?

Oh, and I can't wait for the Cosmic Totem stuff to pop up in JMS' Thor.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if somebody would remember that issue of Silver Surfer. It was about the same time the Surfer was wondering if he had a reptile brain (rage! for Skrulls), a Neanderthal one (logic! for Kree), or a human one (with both). That was weird and pretty stupid. Otherwise, it made me really notice Ronan as a guy who could kill the Surfer.

Speaking of back issues of Silver Surfer, anybody else wondering if Tyrant will show up in Annihilation? Just about everybody else related to Galactus has.

thekelvingreen said...

he's stuck in this form after a bomb detonated that robbed Skrulls of their shape-changing abilities
In the Avengers/Fantastic Four annuals of 1985, "The War to End All Skrulls".

that was a Rigellian, I think
Yes, but for some reason, she's being drawn as more "normal" than the cool stumpiness Rigellians usually have.

I'm waiting for Thanos' betrayal of Annihilus.
I'm waiting for Thanos to do something beyond wandering about telling Annnhilus to be patient. Bit bored of that now.

And what are the odds Marvel will completely ignore that explanation of Power Cosmic
Given they're already ignoring Annihilation, chances are good.

CalvinPitt said...

fortress: it's odd, but I hadn't even noticed until you mentioned it.

Perhaps my subconscious is telling me something?

kanedoras: Hmm, I missed all that stuff about the Surfer's brain, though I do remember him helping the Skrulls. And the Badoon helping the Kree.

And Tyrant? That would be interesting. I'd forgotten about him.

kelvin: Well it seems like Thanos is going to have a showdown with Drax at some point (issue 5 based on covers).

I actually think he'll wind up helping Nova when he comes for Annihilus. He's just biding his time I figure.