Saturday, October 14, 2006

Honestly, In This Case You'd EXPECT Crossovers

This stems partially from yesterday's post, but it occurred to me that Marvel characters each seem to have their own sect of time traveling problems. The Avengers have Kang/Immortus, Thor (and the Fantastic Four I think) have Zarkko, the X-Men have got Fitzroy, Nimrod, Apocalypse went back in time to trigger the Age of Apocalypse, etc. Heck, even Spidey's got Hobgoblin of 2211 (well, not anymore) and Iron Man of 2020.

But I was thinking, there isn't much carryover. I would think that Reed Richards would be intensely interested in time travel, and so he'd always be calling up Xavier, trying to find out about how Bishop got here, or Cable, or whomever. He's got a natural curiousity, so I'd think he'd be hard pressed to resist the opportunity to talk to someone about it. And once you start chatting with a time-traveling ally, it wouldn't be even a hop, skip, and a jump to having to fight one of their time-traveling enemies.

I suppose it's just part of that deal where certain characters are villains for certain heroes, and unless you're Spider-Man, you don't often cross boundaries and fight with people outside your little circle.

3 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

That's why I liked Acts of Vengeance, where the heroes were forced to fight people outside their little circle.

Plus, the FF has a better time-traveling guy than Zarkko - DOOM! Before he was sewing up old girlfriends to make body armor, he was always doing something weird with his time machine.

I think the Living Pharoah may even be his ancestor, or something ...

CalvinPitt said...

fortress: Yeah, I remembered Doom doing some time-traveling, but I figured I'd look for a villain that's whole schtick was time travel.

But yes, Dr. Doom is sooooo much better than Zarkko.

thekelvingreen said...

But I was thinking, there isn't much carryover. I would think that Reed Richards would be intensely interested in time travel, and so he'd always be calling up Xavier, trying to find out about how Bishop got here, or Cable, or whomever. He's got a natural curiousity, so I'd think he'd be hard pressed to resist the opportunity to talk to someone about it.

Curenntly, Reed would have Cable and Bishop come into the lab, only to chop them up for analysis.

I suppose it's just part of that deal where certain characters are villains for certain heroes, and unless you're Spider-Man, you don't often cross boundaries and fight with people outside your little circle.
Interesting bit in Civil War: Frontline #7, I thought. Spidey beats Green Goblin all the time, but Wonder Man, who's considerably more powerful than Spidey, Iron variant or not, shites himself when Osborn turns up for a fight. Go Spidey!