Wednesday, October 25, 2006

What I Bought 10/25/06

One quick note before I get to the three books I picked up this week. I read through Seven Soldiers #1, and well, it's probably because I didn't read the various mini-series, but I could not make heads or tails of what was going on. Ah well, once again Morrison goes right over my head. Moving along, watch your step, otherwise you'll fall right into a spoiler.

Exiles #87 - Good news for the Exiles: They don't have to worry about the Earth of Universe #552 being destroyed if they fail. Bad news: That's because it's already been destroyed. And amongst the wreckage, they find a somewhat familiar shiny fellow slugging it out with the Shi'ar Imprerial Guard. The Guard isn't having much luck, but Blink does a pretty good job of taking this Surfer out of the picture for awhile.

With some breathing room, the Exiles find out that things work a little differently in this universe, and Galactus needs their protection. I don't know whether the idea Bedard is running with here, where Galactus' role is basically reversed is new, but I like it. It's a nifty sort of twist on things. The issue ends with the Exiles having been drafted into the fight against Crazy Shiny Boy, while still needing to protect Big G.

Just a couple of other things: Galactus looks a little different in Power Princess' universe. Kind of like he fused with that Warlock character from New Mutants. Pelletier draws HUGE guys. I mean, Surfer, the Shi'ar Guard, Sabretooth, even Longshot looks pretty hefty at times. His art is still very pleasing to my eye, but damn, I wonder if Gladiator can scratch his nosse with the massive guns he's sporting! Longshot has a power I never knew about. Interesting. Oh, and Tony Bedard's got my interest on this one. Still doing a fine job holding down the fort until Mr. Claremont recovers. Bravo Tony. 4.2 out of 5.

New Excalibur #12 - What do you need to know? Hmm, Pete Wisdom is apparently responsible for one of the most infamous acts of infidelity in history. He also got a beatdown from the Knights of the Round Table. Dane Whitman and Sir Percy *stifles giggle* settled their problems with some fisticuffs and some talking. Huzzah! Juggernaut's feeling worried. Oh yeah, and dragons showed up.

I do kind of wish we'd gotten more dragon-fighting. Most of the issue focused on Sage and Wisdom figuring out the key to defeating the fire-breathers, and the shocking secret that no one had ever realized before! I do suppose it makes sense, in a "it's a big world" kind of way. Still no definitive word of whether Dane will join up with Excalibur down the road, and why do I have a bad feeling about Pete Wisdom? He's on a Harry Osborn-esque downward spiral. Or maybe not. I'm not really that familiar with him, so maybe being drunk and humiliated is natural for him. 3.8 out of 5.

Ultimate Spider-Man #101 - Turns out Fury's Spider-Slayers have problems with things they haven't been programmed to deal with, namely, whatever the hell Gwen is now. Richard Parker lies about being able to help Aunt May, but at least it gives us the chance to see Peter trying to strangle Nick Fury. Thank goodness, I've been waiting for that. Of course, in typical Parker fashion things start to get bad, but in what is also typical Parker fashion (and I think some Spidey writers forget this), things start to get better. See, Peter's got himself some friends.

But of course, Nick Fury don't want anybody butting in on his parade, so he decides to adopt the "Scorched Earth" Strategy. Man, I think he must have gotten mad that I disliked Carol Danvers so much last week, and wanted to reestablish his "I'm a big jackass" cred. Mission accomplished, Fury. Oh yeah, and Pizza Face Peter meets the, um, the, uh... She-Wolf?

OK, I really have no idea what that thing on the last page is supposed to be. I'm sure it's a new take on a preexisiting Marvel character (this is Ultimate Spider-Man after all), but who? Hey, at least some stuff happened. 3.7 out 5.

7 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Marc Burkhardt said...

I think the monster on the last page was the creature that used to chase Bugs Bunny around sometimes ...

I'll post a picture on my blog.

Anonymous said...

I read every single 7S mini and Seven Soldiers #1 still passed right over my head.
I think you might need to be high on something (acid?) to be able to get it...

CalvinPitt said...

fortress: Works for me.

zeb: Well, that makes me feel better.

thekelvingreen said...

Yeah, I read all of 7S, but a lot of #1 left me lost too.

Nextwave was my pick this week. A pitch-perfect spoof of Mark Millar's writing on Authority and Ultimates, and an appearance from Forbush Man too! Class, as they say, in a glass.

Anonymous said...

dude longshot used that power in uncanny x-men 230...longshot hears voices....this was during the outback issues....so they find the tresure room from the reavers and longshot goes in and "hears " the items talk or tell stories and they find out that the reavers stole all this stuff so for x-mas they return it all...awwww x-mas miracles do come true......but isnt it odd i know that fact yet dont know grammar and spelling...it IS a mad mad wrold after all.


gabesummers

CalvinPitt said...

kelvin: Nextwave cracked me up. Makes me wish I'd been buying it from the beginning. Is there any word on a trade version of it?

gabe: OK, that's cool. I figured it was probably something he used before, but I hadn't ever seen it.

Thanks for the heads up.