Saturday, January 27, 2007

Hurry Up And Finish Already

I'm getting tired of waiting for Civil War #7 to be released.

No, it's not because I'm planning on buying, or because I'm really looking forward to several people mocking it online. It isn't because I expect Civil War #7 to "fix" everything, and restore the Marvel U. back to the way I think it should be. I don't have have the vision to really have an overarching sense of how "it should be". Besides, I think Marvel's actually smart enough to understand that the way they've arranged things, Captain America punching Tony Stark a few times isn't going to fix a legislation problem.

Though it'll probably be enjoyable to read.

My reason for wanting Civil War over is simple: I want to see the aftermath, and what the writers do with it. As Len pointed out to me, one of the saving graces of Civil War has been the writers bringing their "A" games to the tie-in issues. Now the question is, can they do it again, dealing with the constraints placed on them by CW?

That's what I want to find out. Peter David took the hand House of M dealt, and gave us X-Factor. As you may be aware, that title rocks the freaking house. It's that sort of work that I'm thinking about. Can Bendis give us a good Avengers book? I know he's writing two Avengers books, but he hasn't really demonstrated that he can consistently do one good one - seeing as the Civil War tie-ins weren't much of a team thing - so let's keep expectations low. What's Brubaker going to do with Captain America? Can JMS, David, and Aguirre-Sacasa give us interesting Spider-Man stories, dealing with whatever it is Marvel's done/is getting ready to do to Parker?

So I'll throw it open to you? What title to do you expect will take the best advantage of the world Civil War creates?

7 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

Dwayne McDuffie's FF should be interesting. The Initiative could also be a good book and I must admit I'm tempted by New Avengers because it has Luke Cage, Iron Fist AND Spider-Woman.

I know that last book will end up pi$$ing me off though.

Jim said...

I think it's probably Amazing Spider-man. At the very least, this book will take greatest advantage of the post-cw world. I trust JMS and Garney to make it the best, as well.

CalvinPitt said...

fortress: You're not the only one intrigued by New Avengers. I hear the lineup, and I start getting excited, which can't be a good sign.

jim: Very possible. If nothing else, CW has forced JMS to take time off from the mystic stuff, which has been a blessing.

Matthew said...

I am alternately excited for and fearful of the forthcoming events in ASM.

I agree that it will make great use of the post-CW arena, though I'd say that Cap's own book may be just as if not more profoundly affected.

As a side point, I'm disappointed that Anhillation wasn't hyped more. That one could well change the universe, let alone a single planet.

Matthew said...

I should also remember to spell Annihilation properly. Oops.

CalvinPitt said...

matthew: Yeah, I wonder what's going to happen to Cap, since he sounds like he's AWOL from the New Avengers.

Good thing Brubaker seems to do such a good job with the supporting cast.

Fang Bastardson said...

I think the most interestinmg book to come out of this will probably be whatever Mark Millar's next assignment is.