Friday, January 12, 2007

Separated At Birth?

So, I'm done with the review posts until the end of the month, which means it's time to get back to what this blog does best - raise silly questions based on observations made about comics.


So, what's up with Thanos' Skrull chin? By reading his Nova Corps file in Annihilation: Prologue - and various Internet resources - I know Thanos is a mutated Eternal, and that he more closely resembles a Deviant. I don't have any images of Deviants in front of me, so I don't remember if they have the bumpy chins as well. The pictures I'm seeing on Google seem to say "no", but maybe you can help.

Eternals and Deviants are the result of Celestial tampering with humans, who have also been known to tamper with the Skrulls. So, there is the possibility that the bumpy chins are just something that Celestials like to code into their experiments' genetics, like a practical joke. Can't put it past those Coffee Mug Heads (as Len called them today).

Of course, Thanos also spent some of his youth augmenting his body through bionic implementation, which is suppose could be shorthand for "harvesting Skrull organs", which in turn might provide him with similar traits to those fellows.

I'm kind of fond of the last idea, but it leads me to wonder, would Thanos have the ability to shape-shift in that scenario? Or would he even need Skrull organs to do that? Thanos can use cosmic energy to alter the state of matter, make it shift or change. How hard would it be for him to apply something like that to himself?

I suppose this boils down to me trying to figure what Thanos' "out" was in Annihilation #4. Like he said: 'I am Thanos. I prepare for every eventuality, however improbable.' So I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he altered the location of some of his organs before Drax struck, or altered a less vital organ to take the place of what Drax punched out (I'm guessing his heart).

Of course, on the off chance he really did bite the dust (again), I'm going to start preparing a eulogy for him, to use sometime after Annihilation #6.

Never hurts to be prepared.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

my knowledge of deviants is limited..but durring the avengers arc where kang was about to take over...the deviants attacked....they all looked like monsters...there wasnt a traight that they all had other than "monster looking"..but again im no expert.warbird even fought some pay-dough looking guy.

gabesummers

Anonymous said...

Maybe he had a bad chin implant from a shape-changed Skrull plastic surgeon in Schenectady.

Or maybe Death was just messing with his head, and told him "You know Thanos, I find Skrull chins sooooo sexy. They really turn me on. If you had one, you'd be totally hawt. I might even let you peek inside my robe."

CalvinPitt said...

gabesummers: Yeah, I've got that issue too. I couldn't remember if they had weird chins though. Thanks for the info.

jon h: I could totally see Thanos doing because Death told him to. I'm sure Thanos would castrate himself if she told him that would increase his attractiveness to her.

SallyP said...

This has absolutely nothing to do with either Thanos or a skrull, but they had an ADORABLE BABY PANDA on the news last night,and I immediately thought of you.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Was it killing a hideous baby penguin?

Or was this the story about how China's experienced a recent boom in the panda population (which I vaguely recall seeing on the news ticker)?

Carla said...

Do these Deviants predate the Skrull Empire? Maybe he had something to do with their development and the race took his chin in honor of him.

Just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

I can't remember the source for this (might only be the Earth-X series), but the Skrulls are Deviants. All Celestial tampering creates Deviants, Eternals, and a third group that was never really named beyond humans, which is o nly applicable on Earth. In the Skrulls' case, the Deviants--"the Changing People"--were the ones that came out on top.

As for Thanos, Starlin just threw that chin in there to make him look more monstrous and intimidating. In Universe X, Captain Marvel reveals that Thanos's mother was actually a Skrull who had tried to live as a Titanian Eternal. Before he killed her, but that's a whole other continuity problem. Starlin said that the Skrull resemblance wasn't planned, but he did like the Universe X version.

CalvinPitt said...

carla: I kind of figure the Skrulls preceeded the Earth Deviants, but it looks like kanedoras has the answer.

kanedoras: That part about Deviants and Eternals sounds right. There was a Thor story where he landed on a world being judged by the Celestials, and there were people that were blue, and people that were pink. As I recall, the blue ones (several of which were in the military and ruling classes, generally ruthless) pretty much all were judged unfit, and the pink folk, generally less important politcally, were judged OK and lived.

So I would guess they were Eternals, and the blue dudes were Deviants?

And Starlin giving him the chin for intimidation factor makes a lot of sense.

SallyP said...

I believe that the ADP, was the story in China. They did NOT show the Adorable Baby Panda wrestling wtih a Hideous Baby Penquin...instead they showed him falling off a log. Awwwwwwww!!!

And I think in the Marvel Universe, a corrugated chin equals...EVIL!!

googum said...

Guh. I sit down and reread Earth/Universe/Paradise X every once in a while, and I seem to recall the "Thanos' mom was a Skrull" bit...but then did Starfox/Eros have a different mom?

And know I'm all sad, because I miss the grinning evil Thanos of the old Marvel Super Heroes video game...

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Pandas do know how to endear themselves to a crowd, don't they?

googum: Yeah, I remember that Thanos.

I remember him dropping a meteor shower on me, which was just totally uncalled for.