Monday, February 26, 2007

Commence Freaking Out In 51, 50, 49...

Annihilation: Conquest? Ha! You thought this was going to be about Countdown, didn't you? But you forgot DC holds no power over me!

But seriously, Annihilation: Conquest? I am estatic and terrified, eager and cautious. Can it be as good as Annihilation, or are we in the "law of diminishing returns" realm here? Can I read it based on its own merits, rather than constantly comparing it to its predecessor, which I loved so much?

Did they give everyone enough lead time? Please say there's sufficient lead time. I don't want to be in the position Civil War readers were in: "Do I stop buying because I'm frustrated by delays, even though I like it, or do I keep buying in spite of the delays because I enjoy it"?

Will Annihilation: Conquest get a little more recognition by the Marvel Universe at large than Annihilation did? Would it be a good thing if it did?

I'm not sure about how what this does for Nova, though. He's starting off with three issues looking at the aftermath of Civil War and its effects on him, then it's gonna jump right into four issues of Conquest tie-ins? I guess since Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning are writing both Nova and Annihilation: Conquest they know what they're doing. Still, it seems like that would make it hard to establish your own tone for the book, if it's being roped into larger events right from the start.

I can't deny I think this will be fun. More Cosmic Marvel! And I get to read about Rocket Raccoon for the first time! I better start setting aside some extra money for the summer.

8 comments:

Matthew said...

Oh no. This is announced just as DC begins to gain a foothold in my soul and my wallet? It's going to be an expensive 2007, kids.

What am I saying? I think I'm going to love this, which is odd because before Annihilation my focus was more on the earthly heroes. But after Civil War, its time for a change, methinks.

Anonymous said...

Well, normally I'd be worried about this, but who better to write a sequel besides Keith Giffen than Abnett and Lanning? And Tom Raney on artwork? HOLY SHIT!

Anonymous said...

Still, it seems like that would make it hard to establish your own tone for the book, if it's being roped into larger events right from the start.

Reminds me of Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

-M

CalvinPitt said...

matthew: I was the same way, sticking mostly to the street-level heroes, but space is looking better and better.

dan: Yeah, I enjoyed their Nova mini, and Giffen is involved a little (he's writing the Starlord mini). Tom Raney should be good, though sometimes his characters make me think of wood elves or imps for some reason.

matt: Yeah, and I think David's still struggling to establish his tone, what with the restrictions Civil War and the unmasking have put on him.

Marc Burkhardt said...

It's all about crossovers these days. But, hey, if it sells who am I to tell Marvel differently?

Abnett and Lanning were great on LSH, so maybe they can follow through on Annihilation without falling into the law of diminishing returns (see Infinity Gauntlet to Infinity War to Infinity Crusade).

CalvinPitt said...

fortress keeper: Ugh. Infinity Crusade. Let's hope it never gets to that point. I think an advantage might be that the Annihilation's seem to deal with different stuff going on in space, while the Infinity stuff always seemed to come back to the Gems and Adam Warlock being really important to stuff.

So, fingers crossed and all that.

thekelvingreen said...

Rocket Raccoon!

No more need be said.

Well, okay. If Marvel don't get Mignola to do alternate covers for the RR issues, they're idiots. And I don't even like alternate covers.

CalvinPitt said...

kelvingreen: Does Mignola have some history with Rocket Raccoon?