Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Oh, We Are Completely Off The Rails Here

So I was reading Graeme McMillan's non-Civil War reviews and he'd gotten to New Avengers: Illuminati #2. Graeme wonders why, if they have the Infinity Gems, they didn't use them to stop Stamford from happening, or solve the Hulk issue in some way other than tricking their friend and launching him into space.

I leapt at this thought. "Sure!" thinks I "They could use the gems to make it so Banner never turns into the Hulk again! But wait, the Hulk has helped save the world, and they might need him. So they should change reality so Banner can change to the Hulk at will, like Captain Marvel! All he needs is a magic word!" (As an aside, I think it would be funny for "man of science" Bruce Banner to transform through the use of a "magic" word). But what word to use? I couldn't come up with a six letter word (you know, like SHAZAM!) that I liked, so I settled on something that's classically Hulk: SMASH! Now fully insane, I resolved to decide what the letters stood for. Here's what I've got so far:

Strength of the Sentry!
Musculature of the Abomination!
Anger of Sunfire! (He used to be angry, right? Or was he just a jerk?)
Smarts of Hank McCoy!
Healing (as in regeneration) of the Merc With A Mouth!

You'll notice that whether by the gifts he gains from these characters, or the characters the gifts are from, the proper letters are in place to spell SMASH!, so really, you can work it either way.

So, my endlessly creative readers, what magic word would you imbue Banner with, and what would it stand for?

5 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

Umm, have you gotten enough sleep lately?

Kyle Latino said...

I think he would say, "1,2,3, AWESOME!"

Aggrivation at the Army
Woe to the Wrong-doers
Energy from... um... Earth
Strength (easy one) of Samson
O... o... can't think of anything
Might of Mad Maxx
E, why do there have to be two e's

You ever start typing something then it just doesn't come together quite like you thought it would?

But seriously, think about Banner in an Elvis suit yelling, "1,2,3, AWESOME!" then transforming into the Hulk...

thekelvingreen said...

Something occurred to me today. Did the Sentry come back (the second, rubbish, Bendis, time) before Hulk went to space? I think he did because "we have to talk about the Sentry" was our introduction to the Illuminati.

So here's the thing. The Sentry is Hulk's best friend and being around Sentry actually calms the Hulk down. When the Sentry returned (the second, rubbish, Bendis, time), Hulk was actually living with him.

So. (1) When the Illuminati sent Hulk to space, he was actually calm and docile and not a threat at all, which makes Reed and Tony look even more like asshats. And (2), they've pissed off the Hulk by doing this, and when Sentry finds out, they'll have pissed him off too. So they'll have Sentry and the Hulk after them.

Of course, all this require Marvel to know what's going on in their own books, and as your example with the Infinity Gems points out, they don't. So expect Sentry to be lining up to fight Hulk when he returns from space, instead of fighting at his side and trashing everything.

Bah.

SallyP said...

My dear, are you taking as much Nyquil as I am? 'Cause that's just drug-induced brilliance!

CalvinPitt said...

fortress: Come to think of it, I didn't sleep well Monday night, but I'd been thinking about this since Saturday or Sunday, so I don't think that factors in.

kyle-latino: It is hard to make these things work the whole way. i was originally gonna have the letters stand for different nuclear physicists, but realized I don't know which ones were really ripped, or angry, or had serious healing factors.

Can Banner still wear purple pants while dressed as Elvis? And is the "1,2,3 Awesome!" a reference to something? I'm always out of touch on movie references.

kelvingreen: That would be bad for Reed and Tony (making it by extension, fun for me), but as you noted Marvel's got no clue. Iy's not even a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is up to. I'm convinced the left index finger doesn't know what the left middle finger is up to.

Probably flipping the index off.

sallyp: Nope, no Nyquil. Never touch it.