Saturday, September 01, 2007

This Seems Backwards From Normal

I was re-reading Cable/Deadpool #41 last night, because I think the look on Cable's face when he hears Deadpool showed up to help is just swell.

Anyway, I'm reading it, and we get to the part where Nate says his goodbyes to Domino and Irene Merryweather. There's some hugging, and Irene thanks Cable for helping her to become someone who cares, and for some reason I thought, "Huh, that's not how it usually goes, is it?"

I kind of have this impression that in fiction, it's typically the guy who is the cynical one, doesn't believe in anything, and then he meets a lady that has a lot of ideals, and gradually it becomes infectious, and the next thing you know the guy is striving to make the world a better place right alongside. It seems like if a guy has an effect on a woman, it's to 'open her eyes', and get rid of some of that naivete. I don't know if that's how it actually is the majority of the time, but it's the impression I've got, so I thought it was kind of interesting that big, gruff Cable could be the idealist, and get all sorts of people believing that the world could be a better place after all.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

Interesting. A bit of a reversal of typical gender roles, which I always find rather refreshing.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: It's especially unusual given Cable's past portrayals as a stereotypical macho man, with big guns and a shoot first attitude. His transformation into a "change the world through peace and togetherness" guy is kind of wild.