Thursday, July 02, 2009

What I Bought 7/1/09 - Part 2

While flipping through the channels last night I came across the Necessary Roughness on CMT. It's a comedy sports movie, which isn't terribly rare, but this has to be the only one that stars Scott Bakula, Robert Loggia, Sinbad, Kathy Ireland (as the placekicker, and I wish they'd spent a little time teaching her how to at least look fluid when kicking the ball, her motion was all herky-jerky, no follow-through) and Arrested Development's Jason Bateman. I wouldn't say it's a good movie, even by the standards of comedy sports flicks (I might rate it a little better than The Replacements, if only because I think Bakula's a better actor than Keanu. I know, damning with faint praise), but something about all those people in the same movie made me want to watch it. OK, enough yammering about movies.

Nova #26 - Several of the rookie Novas are trapped, and it looks like Imperial Guardsmen Warstar will be adding some more casualties when the words 'Authorize lethal force' appear on the page. Next panel, and Warstar is no more. Hell yes, Richard Rider is back on the field! He and a couple of the other Novas go looking for Robbie, and have to skirmish with the stupid Inhumans for a bit. We do find Robbie by the end of the issue, and I think he may have gotten in a bit over his head.

I really enjoyed this issue. Seeing Nova back kicking butt is always good, the way he handles things, and the fact that his reputation preceeds him and helps to stop that skirmish I mentioned. I like the dialogue, Richard's calm in battle, the rookies shock about learning they were being manipulated, and their resolve to keep fighting, Morrow trying to joke with Qubit some to raise their spirits, it's all good. Andrea DiVito's back on the art chores, which is fine with me. I like that DiVito will draw things (like Nova) upside down occasionally, because they are in space, so you might as well have a little fun with that. I am surprised Ravenous was being beaten up so easily. I know, this Stronitan is the Marvel equivalent of Supergirl, but Ravenous is supposed to be equal to a Herald of Galactus. You'd think he could give a better showing.

Secret Six #11 - The team learns what they're protecting, and why Smyth is building it, though there is still no sign of Mockingbird anywhere. Plenty of dissension amongst the team, which I'm glad at least some of them object. Not that it may matter next issue, they're probably all going to be beaten senseless.

This issue highlights the ongoing problem I have with this book. While I have no problems with anti-heroes (loved Ennis' Punisher, for example), some of these characters are too amoral. I'm not sure I'm supposed to see them as scumbags and want to see Wonder Woman kick their heads in, you know? Especially Deadshot. I would enjoy someone ripping that stupid mustache off his face. I know Ragdoll is right, they've taken jobs from people much worse than these fellows, but still, the total indifference he, Floyd, and Blake show grates on me. Do none of these imbeciles realize that they will probably end up inside the structure they're helping to protect? Hello, did you forget you have criminal records, and the heroes don't regard you as part of their little clique? Utter morons, I tell you. The above doesn't apply to Scandal, Bane, or Jeanette, obviously.

War of Kings #5 - Things are getting rapidly crazier. The Inhumans, well Black Bolt and Medusa, have settled on what they seem to think is some great plan, but is, honestly, stupid as hell. It didn't work in Cable/Deadpool when Anton Kruch wanted to turn everyone blue, it won't work here. Assuming it even goes off, since Vulcan has gone even further off the deep end than before. Speaking of crazy, Gladiator is running wild, killing all the pro-Vulcan folks, ripping off arms and such. Oh dear, he's become Superboy-Prime. Run!

You know, as much as I like a story of true love, I can't say I feel bad for Medusa. She's been so damn smug and overbearing throughout this whole mess, the idea her husband's going to blow himself up to bring about this stupid-ass scheme, and in the process leave her alone and sad amuses me. She's the one saying Crystal and Ronan are naive, and there have to be sacrifices and yadda, yadda, while she's sacrificed, risked nothing. She's the war movie stereotype of the officer who throws away his troops and justifies it saying "That's war", while of course, he sits safely behind the lines. So yeah, really not minding the idea of her getting a little comeuppance.

OK, I'm leaving town here shortly, and I won't be back until next Wednesday. I don't expect I'll do any posting between now and then, though you never know, but don't count on it. So, until next week.

2 comments:

Diamondrock said...

Bane has always been one of the smartest villains out there. Plus, he's got a think about prisons...

CalvinPitt said...

diamondrock: Yeah, I thought that was pretty impressive how knew before anyone said anything that it was a prison being built.