Thursday, July 30, 2009

What I Bought 7/29/09

I suppose I should have mentioned on Tuesday that I'd be off visiting family for a week, and thus we would be entering "intermittent posting" mode. Well, you know now.

Immortal Weapons #1 - The preview they included of this in last month's Immortal Iron Fist had me worried. I had the feeling I was going to realize I was happier when I didn't know anything about Fat Cobra's origin, only that he was here now, and he was awesome. Fortunately, his life wasn't only embarassing upbringing and buttkickings at the hands of multi-headed snake demon things. It ends on a rather down note, though Fat Cobra is young yet (I guess). He could turn things back around with the time he has left.

Jason Aaron certainly doesn't lack for the wild ideas that typified Immortal Iron Fist. I suppose that isn't news to most of you, but I haven't been reading Ghost Rider, so I'm behind the curve. Personally I want to know more about Fat Cobra's time working with Ulysses Bloodstone. Fat Cobra was dressed like Kato from Green Hornet, and he once kicked Fin Fang Foom in the face. Or a story set during his time as a minor film star might be good, though I guess Swierczynski might have covered that time period with the Death Queen of California story.

Lot of different art teams on the book, which is natural with all the different time periods. I think my favorite was Michael Lark's work, because it most reminded me of David Aja in style and the way they showcased the different. . . moves. Mico Suayan handles most of the work, and gets the opportunity to draw Cobra with a variety of facial expressions, from shock, to anger, embarassment, even a few smiles.

No comments: