Wednesday, July 08, 2009

What I Bought 7/8/09

I'm back and ready to review. Nice week away, and we'll talk movies here in a couple of days. Anyway, my sojourn is done, I'm here, and I did miss you. A little bit. So a review of the only book I bought this week.

Booster Gold #22 - Three things I like about the cover. One, the image of the Titans in the dark side of Deathstroke's mask. It seems like an effective use of space. Two, the smile you can see through the mask. Three, that you can see Deathstroke's eyebrow just below the edge of the mask. I don't know why, it's just a nice little detail.

To the issue. Booster and Skeets chase the Black Beetle, who we learn is working with some shadowy figure. Having failed to kill Grayson early is his tenure as Batman, they decide Beetle should go help the original Ravager kill Dick and the Wolfman/Perez Titans. Not one to do things halfway, Beetle also recruits Deathstroke and they appear to succeed, though I'm fairly sure they didn't. Skeets mentioned the out earlier in the issue, and there is a Titan conspicuously absent from the big fight scene.

I'm wondering how far into the future Black Beetle is looking. He says he wants to kill Grayson to rob the Justice League of their tactician, but other than Obsidian Age, when was he on the Justice League? Or does the he figure killing Grayson then will make Batman retire long before Darkseid can dispatch him in Final Crisis? It's a decent enough chapter, since we learn what Beetle says he's after, but now we have the mystery of who he's working with.

Well, that was easy. Always nice to ease back in.

1 comment:

SallyP said...

I'm enjoying Booster and I'm enjoying Jaime. Two great tastes, that taste great together!