Saturday, December 16, 2006

How The Heck Did I Get Here?

So, it's been a year.

Truthfully, I've been thinking about blogging for something like 3 or four years. Back in the dorms, Papafred was always saying that I should get a blog like his, because 'I had lots of opinions about stuff'. I think that was his polite way of saying he was tired of me bitching about the Arizona Cardinals, Chris Berman, and Chuck Austen. I resisted the impulse for a long time because I didn't feel computer savvy enough to have a blog. But I still visited blogs, especially St. Louis Cardinals' blogs, and followed links from there to other blogs. Eventually, I'd made enough comments on one that I got a spot as a poster over at the Macq Experience, starting with a post bashing Royals fans. And that was pretty much the realm I stayed in for awhile.

But then I decided I wanted to know about the Cardinals' opponents, so I started reading blogs about other teams, and following their links to other sites, and so on and so forth. And then one day, I stumbled - quite by accident - upon the comicsblogowhatchamafloogle. And it just so happened, that this was the first post I saw.

So clearly, everything produced by comics bloggers since then has been a major disappointment.
Anyway, I bounced around for a few months, reading various blogs, and dealing with a desire to start my own blog. By this point, I'd concluded Blogger looked simple enough even for me, but now I was worried I'd have nothing to say. With so many blogs around already, was there a niche for me to fill? Perhaps I'd just gotten here too late. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your perspective), Scipio linked to a post from an up-and-coming blogger, and I figured if this person could start up a blog that week, and have stuff to say, why not me?

And so it came to pass, that later that day, Reporting on Marvels and Legends emerged from the misty murk of my nerve impulses, and entered the electronic world it currently inhabits. And somehow, I'm actually a little bit saner than I was before I started spewing every random comic thought I had out here. I've had a place to complain about what happened to Stacy X, Cassandra Cain, Spider-Man, rave about Spider-Girl and Cable/Deadpool, be befuddled by the not-sucking of Ultimate Clone Saga, and for the most part, I've even managed to avoid making an ass out of myself. Well, there have been a couple of times, both here and on others blogs, but people have been pretty good sports about that.

So that's the past. What's the future? Well, I'd imagine things are going to go pretty much the same as before. However, if I can get a scanner of some sort, I plan to add a few features. Spider-Man: Giant Slayer! is still something I very much want to do, detailing as many of Spidey's battles where he's hopelessly outgunned as I happen to own. I'd like to do a feature on GrimJack's romantic life, if only to prove his luck with women (or is it women's luck with him?) is indeed worse than Kyle Rayner's. The Year in Review posts are coming, thought I haven't decided whether to start now, or wait until after New Year's. I do know that rather than rank them in categories, I'm going to go title-by-title, hitting the highs and lows over the last year. Probably it'll be for the days where I'm feeling uninspired, which hopefully means I'll still be getting to them in March.

And since I'm as bad at conclusions as I am at introductions, I'll simply leave it at that.

3 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

Congratulations on reaching a year! I've got another month or so to go.

As for the year in review, maybe you should have Adorable Baby Panda rate the highlights and low-lights of 2006's comics.

He seems to have a good grasp on things.

CalvinPitt said...

fortress: That's not a bad idea.

Anonymous said...

Congradulations! I'd send you a gift basket for a hard year's work if I could.