Friday, December 01, 2006

Kiss It Goodbye

More like "Kick It To The Curb", but I want to be nice. So, I decided to bid farewell to Teen Titans today. I'd been considering it since I finished this week's issue. As best I can pin it down, there's three reasons that this is happening, and probably should have happened sooner:

1) Where's the Joy? Fortress Keeper, in the comments to Wednesday's post said it pretty well: "It's a somewhat morose team, having disjointed, somewhat morose adventures." Kid Devil seemed pretty eager and excited to be a Titan, and you'd think the team standing by him against Caulder would have cemented the upbeat mood, but he seems more down now than before. Maybe he's just through pretending everything's cool, but his attitude had been one of the things I was enjoying. As for the rest of the team, they seem to be people hanging on as a last resort ('I got nowhere else to go!'), or people who aren't sure they really want to be a part of it. It makes Ultimate Spider-Man seem cherry by comparion.

I just quoted a Richard Gere movie in that last paragraph. I hate myself now.

2) Getting My Point Across. Len posted this a few days ago, and his last line was something he'd brought up before, and that I'd considered in relation to Teen Titans. Simply put, I wasn't enjoying it, so why was I still buying it?

3) I'm Through With The Waiting Game. At least part of the reason I was sticking with it was the "Titans East" storyline, and my silly, feeble hopes Geoff Johns would hear my plea, to say nothing of the pleas of the other Cassie Cain fans. But realizing it isn't going to kick off until January, which means a conclusion in what, April? To hell with that! And yes, I'm sure if I read Newsarama or Wizard I'd have known that months ago, but those places tend to give me headaches, so I stay away from them. It's just not worth the mediocrity to wait for a story that sounds like it'll raise my blood pressure.

Besides, if by some chance Johns does provide an unexpected gift, I'm quite certain I'll hear diamondrock shouting about it from the top of the world, so it's covered.

On the plus side, this frees up some money to purchase Shadowpact. Sure, it's sales figures are dropping every month, but I'm a Spider-Girl fan, that isn't going to stop me. Or maybe the All-New Atom could use a boost to it's readership?

4 comments:

Diamondrock said...

Go with Shadowpact. It could use the support.

And I'll let you know how Titans East turns out... Despite similar feelings I can't turn away. I must see what happens my girl.

CalvinPitt said...

diamondrock: I'm still hoping Johns throws us a bone here, but yeah, I think Shadowpact can use the sales a little more.

SallyP said...

I feel your pain. The pain of waiting...waiting for a beloved book to actually get GOOD again. And then waiting some more. *sigh*

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: At least I'm starting to get better. I sat through 20+ issues of JLA (post-Joe Kelly) and Uncanny X-Men (from #420 until Chuck Austen's run ended), before I wised up.

This time it only took about oh, a year of mostly unsatisfying stories.