Wednesday, December 13, 2006

What I bought 12/13/06

Mood's on the upswing again. Being done with my Finals Week-related crap probably has something to do with that. Sooo, hooray for being done with Finals Week-related crap! And I've got four comics to review! Huzzah! And I picked up The Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born sketchbook! Sweet! I daresay I'm getting better at avoiding spoilers in these reviews, but I thought that last spring too, so you should probably be on guard.

Amazing Spider- Girl #3 - I like the cover. It's clever, pretty, and gets the point across. As to the issue, well "Beaten Woman Gains Super-Powers, Seeks Revenge" summarizes the plot pretty well. The most intriguing thing to me is how the lady talked. She is very much into the "I am a force of nature, how can you fight the elements?" kind of grandiose style. It's cool, she may have been a very literate person, and was simply drawing on that, but we don't know, and it's kind of odd otherwise. *Shrugs*

For me, I was more into the continuing subplots. May has only put the webs on once, but it's already back to doing a number on her life. She's stressed about lying to Peter (as is MJ), her student council presidency run is struggling, friends are becoming frustrated, as are boyfriends. To the last one, I can only reiterate: Huzzah! So pretty standard stuff for a Parker. See, this is why I didn't get involved in stuff in high school (Well, I was in Mock Trial, but nothing other than that). This way, I was free to use my superpowers whenever, or spend time with friends whenever. OK, it was really just because I'm lazy and uninterested in extracurriculars. Happy now? Also, the Hobgoblin is still searching for that item, but now there are some new parties involved as well. I see another gang war looming. Cool. 3.5 out of 5.

Exiles Annual #1 - This book is pretty much exactly what the cover suggests. Current Exiles versus Originals, but why? Well, there are certain players involved, that are manipulating things. Who and why, I'll leave unsaid. At any rate, the current Exiles were planning to help out Earth #33629, only to observe a squad of Original Exiles doing it first. The Currents decide to investigate, and brawling ensues. From there, it's pretty much what you're used to. Heroes are in trouble, opposite numbers are intrigued by the captured heroes, do investigating, truth revealed, etc.

I'd say the part I liked best was Longshot playing the role of Det. John McClane (Die Hard for you poor saps with even less movie knowledge than me), and running around bushwacking the Originals periodically. More of that would have been fun. There were a couple of funny lines, such as the 'The Wrecking Crew: Small-time crooks mystically transformed into an unstoppable destructive force. The citizens of New York City: Once again reminded why they have the highest insurance rates in the world.' Funny, yet true for the way Marvel Earths work. Not bad, not great, and Morph suggesting that he'd like to get freaky with both Blinks? Yikes. 3.6 out of 5.

Ultimate X-Men #77 - I suppose the biggest aspect of this story is probably the reveal on the last page, which was/is apparently true in Marvel continuity as well. It just kind of bugs me, so it doesn't do a whole lot for my enjoyment.

Meanwhile, Bishop is going to lead the X-Men to get Jean back, but Cyclops has to stay and protect the Professor. Not surprisingly, Cyke wants to go get Jean himself, but no dice. Utilizing chronal detection, they track Cable, but as Bishop points out, that can work both ways. And it does, sure enough. Rogue can attest to that. I just noticed looking at again, but a couple pages after Rogue finds out, there a panel of Logan attacking Ultimate Domino, and damn, do his arms look long compared to the rest of him. Or maybe too large around. Something about the perspective is off. It really snapped me out of the reading. At any rate, cue fight scene, cue mysterious proclamations from Cable, cue Xavier's revelation.

This book is swinging kind wildly for me right now. This issue didn't particularly do it for me, though I am curious to see if Kitty does leave. I'm thinking future events in Ultimate Spider-Man will make it a "No". 2.6 out of 5.

X-Factor #14 - That cover makes me think of Step by Step. Or Full House. Really, any of those dorky "Lots of people squabbling while living under one roof" sitcoms. Layla looks embarassed to even be there, but I can't tell whether Monet and Siryn are trying to hurt each other... or simultaneously pound Jamie. Probably the latter.

Anyhoo, Jamie tries to patch things over with Theresa, no luck. Then Monet experiences the difficulties of getting revenge on the particular part of Jamie she's ticked at. No sign of whether she got what she wanted or not. Guido wants to make amends for his crime, Jamie needs to talk to Rictor about Pietro. Of course Ric would rather talk about Siryn and Monet. Either way, it's good "Guys busting each others chops in the bar stuff".

Jamie, feeling like it's all going to hell, turns to Leonard Samson for help and decides to go dupe hunting. Which naturally leaves Layla to do the actual work of bringing things together again. Can child labor laws apply in this situation? Either way, Jamie's plan doesn't quite go as he would hope, and it looks like X-Factor's going to be dealing with another huge, shadowy organization.

Of course, this one is a bit more of a known quantity in the Marvel U. Oh, and I wanted to say, that I fully aprrove of current artist Pablo Raimondi. If he is set to become the full-time penciler, that would be totally groovy. 4.2 out of 5.

4 comments:

SallyP said...

X-Factor was the pick of the litter for me this week, an utter hoot from beginning to end.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Agreed. Quite the example of awesomeness.

Anonymous said...

Really? I highly enjoyed Ultimate X-Men #77. Thought this was the best issue in the last year or so. What happened to Rogue caught me completly offguard, and their was so much else going on. The last page reveal was a nice touch to drive Cyclops nuts even more then before.

CalvinPitt said...

stefan leblanc: The Rogue thing was definitely surprising, but I'm not really a fan of that reveal, so it kind of dragged me down. it wasn't a bad issue, but compared to the other books I bought, it felt kind of flat.