Thursday, June 21, 2007

Eight? EIGHT?! Now That's All I Can Think About!

So, hey, look at me, I got tagged to tell you about me. Joyous days. Maybe. So hang on, there's some rules around here somewhere.

Ah, here we go!

- I have to post these rules before I start.
- I have to tell you eight facts about myself.
- I have to tag eight people to participate.
- I'm supposed to leave a comment telling them they're tagged and to read my blog.
- And the tagees need to write their own blog post, telling us eight things and posting the rules.

Hmm, so what do I feel comfortable telling you about me? Eh, let's just play it by ear, see how it sounds. All this is true, I swear, or else I will have forgotten the face of my father, do you kennit?

1. I'm deaf in my right ear. Have been for as long as I can remember. Something about adenoids blocking fluid up in my ears, infection, death of certain vital mechanisms, I don't know. I was five when they took the adenoids out just to save the left, how the hell should I know? It's only really a problem when I'm trying to locate a sound, because when I hear something most clearly, my eyes are ninety degrees off target.

2. My first thought upon seeing the cover to GrimJack #1 (and knowing nothing of the character), was that he was a complete loser because he wore a beret. Yeah, I'm not too bright.

3. My friend once accidentally poked holes in the side of my father's $1200 leather reclining chair, and when this was discovered, I took the heat. I figured it'd be better to take the rap for that, rather than get yelled at for having a friend over when my parents weren't around (and one they weren't real high on at that), which I wasn't supposed to do.

4. Papafred and I, as undergraduates, once learned a new word by watching Seasame Street on a weekday morning when neither of us had a class. Don't laugh! The word was "piquant", alright? What the hell are they doing teaching little kids words like that?

5. While on the shot and discus team in junior high, I once won a bet with the assistant principal by throwing the discus so that it stuck vertically a second time (the first time being what prompted the bet). My prize? A Snapple. Yeah, kind of weak.

6. On the subject of bets, sometime after the 2005 baseball season, I made a bet with Ken Murphy (owner of Marvels and Legends) about whether or not Ken Griffey Jr. could reach 600 career home runs by the end of the 2007 season (he had 536 at the time, and is notorious for getting injured). I thought I was sitting pretty after last year (just 27 homers), but now it's looking like Griffey's gonna pull it off. Damn, looks like karma decrees I lose a bet with a soda at stake.

7. I've played one Dungeons and Dragons campaign (though we never finished). The most notable part - other than how often everyone but Papafred's character died - was me deciding my character would have a crush on the group's female elf cleric, controlled by Papafred's buddy Solomon, even though the cleric was also the subject of affection for the team's Conan substitute, played by the DM's girlfriend. What a weird dynamic that was.

8. I once got Papafred in significant difficulty with an acquantance of his. He was showing Neon Genesis Evangelion to another friend and myself when this acquaintance called. He paused the DVD, and we waited. And waited. And his best efforts to end the conversation quickly were going for naught. Finally, he said 'Want to talk to a soda?' I was sitting directly behind him, and loudly responded 'It's the only one listening.' The three of us erupted with laughter, then acquaintance hung up, and Papafred, being a decent fellow, called them up to try and smooth things over. Oddly, the acquaintance was madder at him, than they were at me, which I found hilarious all by itself.

So I guess I got to tag a bunch of people. Hmm, look around quickly here, I guess we'll try Len, Matt, Kelvin, Diamondrock, Chris, Mallet, Jason, and that's all I'm gonna do. 7 out of 8 is an 87.5%, and that's just good enough for the effort I've exerted to satisfy me. Wow, it's like being in high school again!

6 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

Well, you never know about Junior. He IS pretty brittle ...

Jason said...

I just heard that Griffey wants to come to the Cubs. If that happens, no way does he make it 10 games without exploding... literally. Look what happened to Garciaparra, we just can't have nice things.

Thanks for the tag, I'll try to get to it later this weekend.

CalvinPitt said...

fortress keeper: That's basically what I'm banking on now. He's over halfway to the 37 homers he needed to hit this year already.

jason: Hmm, dare I wish for Griffey be sentenced to time as a Cub?

Anonymous said...

ohhh secrets...i stutter..all my life...i hate water boy jokes the most..and yet some how i fooled everyone in high school to think i was cool..no small feat considering i was a)scrawny...b)have big ears (no lie)
and c) read comics and d)i stutter.
gabesummers

CalvinPitt said...

gabesummers: Well, if people realized you were cool then you were one up on me. I think most people in high school considered me either "funny", or "solitary", seeing as a couple of guys in my Statistics class named me Lobo, the Lone Wolf.

Chris said...

I'm such a choad. I just noticed you tagged me. I'll get on the stick.