Sunday, June 24, 2007

So Much Random Stupidity, Brain Overloading

I was watching that Fantastic Four cartoon last night, and they got to meet the Impossible Man, and in the episode he tells them that his people evolved their "impossible" abilities as a way to survive the incredibly harsh conditions of their planet, which I suppose sorta makes sense, seeing as there are organisms on Earth that do things that we can't, like eat hydrogen sulfides, and live in boiling water, and so on, but I think applying that to Impossible Man is taking it a bit too far, which is sort of the point, I guess.

Anyway, in the episode Reed realizes that there's an entire planet of Impossible Men (and Women, or are they asexual?), and Impy is going to bring them all here because it's so much less dangerous on Earth, which of course forces the FF to figure a way to dissuade him of that notion, which they eventually do. But seeing how truly annoying that little fellow can be, it made me very happy that in the 616 Universe, Galactus ate their homeworld, and Impy is the only one left.

Not that that means much. I had a Spider-Woman comic where Impy hired Jessica Drew to find a female version of himself he'd made (he split in two, I guess) to try out these relationships he always saw humans having. They'd had a little fight, which he thought was a game, she ran off, he couldn't find her, etc.

But thinking back on that story now, it occurs to me Impossible Man could probably recreate his entire species that way, were he so inclined. I think the entire universe is probably thankful he hasn't yet.

Hmm, I kind of like to see Impy in a Marvel comic some time soon, maybe out in space. I'm just not sure Impy really has a place in the middle of Annihilation: Conquest. He'd probably mess with the tone a little too much, though it would be fun to watch the Major Threat have a total breakdown trying to deal with him.

And now to post before the thunderstorm knocks out the power!

8 comments:

Matthew said...

Didn't he show up at the start of the current Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four mini?

SallyP said...

Do you suppose that Iron Man would try to force him to register or put him on the Thunderbolts?

Now THAT would be an interesting book!

Matthew said...

At the risk of having your wrath turned on me, Sally, I don't think Tony has put ANYONE in the Thunderbolts - not his team, remember?

CalvinPitt said...

matthew: That's true, he did. Count on Jeff Parker to bring out the oddball characters, I suppose.

sallyp: Given that Impy is an alien, I don't know that Iron man would have any grounds to make him register.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what Warren Ellis would do with the Impossible Man, but it would probably be, unusual.

matthew: See, that's still confusing me. Because Moonstone says in Nova that the T'Bolts answer to the Commission of Superhuman Activities, not Stark, but at the end of Civil War, Stark talked about Colorado wanting the Bolts as their team, making it sound like they are part of the Initiative.

Man, it would be nice for Marvel's writers to get on the same page.

Unknown said...

sallyp: Given that Impy is an alien, I don't know that Iron man would have any grounds to make him register.

No more than he does Captain America or that kid that they didn't know had any powers until he was dead, I suppose.

Anyway, is this the new, anime-ish FF 'toon or the old mid-90's one?

I saw an ep of the anime-ish one and I nearly gouged my eyes out. Awful stuff, if that episode was anything to go by.

-M

SallyP said...

Aww...my wrath is pretty feeble most of the time. Except when it comes to Green Lanterns of course.

Jason said...

I actually enjoyed the anime-ish series. It didn't have a lot to do with the FF, but it was fun anime-ish insanity kind of like the Teen Titans series. I'd rather they change things up rather than stick to the comics like the woeful direct to DVD movies they've done.

Incidentally, I was going through some old comics and came upon an old Impossible Man Summer Special from the 80's. It was pretty bad, but still pretty fun. Then there's that great New Mutants Annual by Art Adams that had Warlock and Impy face off in a transformation duel. Lots of fun.

CalvinPitt said...

matt: Yeah, it's the new series. It has its moments, but the episodes seem to run in circles a bit too much. But, if I got nothing else to do, there are worse ways to spend 30 minutes.

jason: I don't enjoy it as much as I did Teen Titans (or the '90s FF cartoon for that matter, but that might be nostalgia), but it is an improvement over the movies, that's for sure.