Wednesday, June 27, 2007

What I Bought 6/27/07

Well, hello! I . . . can't think up a decent intro this week. Doesn't that just stink? So, intro over, reviews, now! Spoilers, everywhere!

Cable/Deadpool #42 - Here we have Cable, trying to destroy his datacore full of information about the future. Good thing he has Deadpool to watch his back. Oh, he sent Wade to find a back-up of the info. Which leaves Cable on his own against people who want the knowledge. Two people. People who happen to be on the cover. Wade's got (minor) trouble of his own. Things blow up, other things aren't what they seemed, people die (maybe), good times.

Also, I have to say that Jon Malin's art reminds me a bit too much of Liefeld. Cable's face often seems extremely sharp, and oddly shiny, like he has oily skin. Plus the Saliva Strand Syndrome (so common in the '90s) is in effect here, and some of the anatomy is. . . odd. Maybe there was a point to that, maybe that's how Malin always draws (and so, maybe there was a point to using him). Either way, it's not what I'd describe as "easy on the eyes". It's an interesting issue, though I'm not sure where Nicieza's gonna go with it from here. 3.3 out of 5.

I would like to take this opportunity to tell all the Gambit haters out there (I know you are legion, though not Legion, or L.E.G.I.O.N for that matter), that you appear to now owe Mr. Nicieza a BIG "Thank you!" That is all

Immortal Iron Fist #6 - Um, lots of HYDRA agents die in this issue. Some get shot, some get cut with swords, some probably just got punched so hard it did the job. Unfortunately, a good guy also dies in this issue, but I guess it was meant to be, Circle of Life and all that jazz. Danny doesn't really get a chance to beat up the people he really wants to, because, well, it's time for the Tenkaichi Budokai!

Wait, that's DragonBall Z. Oh, it's time for the "Tournament of the Heavenly Cities", that's what it is. Eh, that name lacks zip. I think maybe I should just go ahead and keep calling it the Tenkaichi Budokai. We'll see. What else to say about this book? Uh, well, Davos is a total punk. I'm really not even sure what he means when he calls Danny a "cheater", but it sounds pretty hollow coming from a guy draining the life forces of women/cranes to amplify his own powers. What's the matter "Steel Serpent", can't get it done on your own anymore? Maybe the steel's a little soft, huh? *rimshot* What a dork. Hmm, other than that, I guess I can throw out that idea of Danny suing Misty and Colleen for using "Heroes for Hire" when they're running around doing jobs for SHIELD (read: Stark/Pro-Reg) money. Eh, that was too petty to be Danny's style anyway.

I'm also liking Aja's artwork more all the time. There's lots to it, but only where there needs to be, so that the work isn't so detailed that you can't focus on the important things in each panel. I am disappointed though, I wanted more of a final showdown between Danny and Davos, but I'm guessing that'll have to wait for #12 (which is when I predict this tournament will conclude). 4.1 out of 5.

X-Factor #20 - So, gee, Quicksilver's big plan to empower the X-Cell failed miserably. Who would've thunk it? At some point, you'd hope that Pietro would realize that everything he touches turns to ash, and he'd stop trying. But I suppose he's so delusional that it's never truly his fault, which makes him about as much of a polar opposite of Spider-Man as you can get.

X-Factor scrimmages with the repowered X-Cell members. It's an odd fight, a little amusing at times, especially the horde of Madroxes, but fairly well handled, although Raimondi doesn't do a great job of drawing it. Characters look rushed, positioning is awkward, it doesn't look that great, especially when you read this fight scene after having read through the fight scenes in the two books I reviewed above.

The fight really isn't of any import though, as the critical stuff is going on inside. Let's just say Layla Miller is very sneaky, and she's not what I had thought she was. The art hurts the book (though Raimondi does some nice work on expressions), but it was still a pretty decent little wrap-up to the arc, and I think it sets things up nicely for the eventual tie-in to Endangered Species, or Messiah Complex, or whatever the blasted X-Event of the year is. 4.1 out of 5.

5 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

Immortal Iron Fist was as awesome as always, but I share your disappointment in waiting (at least) six more months before we see any resolution.

The Dragonball Z similarities exist beyond way-cool fighting tournaments ...

LEN! said...

X-Factor #20 left me a little dry. I guess it was because it was this really odd--but cool--fight between the 300 and the X-Cell. I never really felt anything one way or another about the X-Cell, so the end of this storyline was just a way to move on to bigger and better things.

Cable/Deadpool #42 (which is in a lot of ways also X-Men #200) was interesting. It felt more like the first part of a new arc rather than the third part of an arc that's been going on. I guess if X-Men was willing to acknowledge that Deadpool exists, it would flow better. The scenes with Cable in the most recent X-Men are identical in form to most of the events in this issue, except Deadpool has been completely omitted from the story.

SallyP said...

I liked X Factor, it is about the only X book that I'm reading now except for Astonishing,although for some reason, I keep buying...and hating Wolverine.

But you say that there is some news about Gambit? I was a sucker and bought the Endangered Species X-Men book with the giant wrap-around cover, and couldn't make heads or tails of it, except that Gambit and Sunfire were in it, and being rude to Cable.

However, I'm too filled with glee over the Sinestro Corps book, that I just don't care.

CalvinPitt said...

fortress keeper: Well, we can take solace in the fact that the pace doesn't seem to be from a lot fo screaming, and trying to make your hair change color, or your muscles double in circumference (haven't the DBZ folk heard of HGH?)

len!: Yeah, in both those cases it does feel like something's just getting started, more than really wrapping up, though I'm left wodnering what pietro will try next.

And X-Men ignored Deadpool? What's the deal, Mike Carey? Don't make me hit you with a stoplight for ignoring one of Professor Xavier's valiant X-Men!

sallyp: Yep, it sounds like Gambit and Sunfire were doing pretty much the same thing in Cable/Deadpool as they were doing in X-Men. Since I don't know if X-Men showed how it ended, I'll just say that Cable didn't appreciate Remy and Sunfire's presence, and. . . dealt with them.

SallyP said...

...Excellent! (steeples my fingers, and gloats.)