Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Can Cats Singing Badly Help Sell Food?

I don't know if you've seen the Quiznos commercials for their "5-4-3" deal. initially, I was irritated by them, but now I'm fascinated by what the thought process behind them was, while still being mildly irritated.

They have what sounds like "Three Blind Mice" as performed by someone banging away on, well, I thought it was a poorly looked after piano originally, but having just watched it on Youtube, perhaps it's a xylophone. It sounds horrible either way.

Then you throw in three cats dressed in what appear to be the finest fashions of the late 18th Century, complete with powdered wigs. Or it's the heads of three cats superimposed on puppets dressed that way. Two of the cats are supposed to look like they're playing horns, though one is pretty clearly gnawing on the instrument instead. The one in the middle does all the singing about the deal, but I don't hear enthusiasm in the singing, so much as anxiety. The voice sounds like it's not only struggling to keep the lyrics in time with the music, but it's also straining to go as high-pitched as it does.

This is the first time I've been able to understand exactly what's being advertised. I knew it was for Quiznos, but each time I saw it, I was so struck by the strange nature of the music, singing, and cats I'd miss what the restaurant was advertising exactly. I can almost understand the choice of the song, since the phrases "three blind mice" and "5-4-3" can fit on the same beat, but a song about mice having their tails cut off with knives doesn't seem like a wise thing to evoke when trying to convince people to buy your sandwiches. Sure, cats might enjoy seeing mice suffer torment, but that wouldn't explain the outfits or the forced singing. Or the off-key music.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Commercial does not deserve the analysis you've given it. It's just plain awful on all fronts and I put the mute on the second the first note sounds.

CalvinPitt said...

anonymous: You're probably right about it not being worth it, but I have to amuse myself somehow, and the fact that someone thought it was a good idea fascinates me. I should have spent more of the post mocking it.